• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

MAO-A rs909525 TT

ebethc

Hi

My results for this gene are TT, however, this snpedia page lists results as either AA or AG or GG. I've had this before, i.e., my results are not noted on the snpedia page... Can someone enlighten me re the alternative results (like TT) that are not noted on the page? thanks.

http://www.snpedia.com/index.php/Rs909525

mgk

Yeah, it does get confusing at times. It has to do with the double-stranded nature of DNA. A goes with T and G goes with C so some places refer to one side and some refer to the other.

Here's a quote from the 23andMe site:
The SNP genotypes you are seeing in Browse Raw Data might not match what you learn about the SNP from other sources such as dbSNP. This is because every SNP can be represented using either of the two DNA strands and this representation will often differ from database to database or publication to publication.

For example, 23andMe might report that a SNP has two versions, G and A. But other sources may report that the versions are C and T. Because of the double-stranded nature of DNA, both ways of reporting the SNP are correct: G pairs with C on the opposite DNA strand, while A pairs with T.

All of the genotypes displayed in Browse Raw Data are oriented with respect to the positive strand on the reference assembly of the human genome (build 37). Note that this could be different from how the SNP is oriented in dbSNP or how it might be presented in a publication.

Valentijn

My results for this gene are TT, however, this snpedia page lists results as either AA or AG or GG. I've had this before, i.e., my results are not noted on the snpedia page... Can someone enlighten me re the alternative results (like TT) that are not noted on the page?
23andMe reports results on the forward strand, but some research and other sources use the reverse strand. If your results don't match up, then A=T and C=G. So your TT result would translate to AA on that site.