• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Lyme Results - what do you make of my results ?

JAH

Well, a lot of people think a lot of different things are a Jarisch-Herxheimer reaction. But the actual definition frequently says otherwise :p Many antibiotics also cause side-effects, and I had quite a few of those as well.
I've had that "side effect vs. herxheimer" discussion with her. I think headaches can be either. She told me that people don't react the I do when they are treated for other illnesses with anti biotics...and that's her two cents.

Thanks for your response, the possible Lyme involvement in my health is extremely hard for me to figure out, and really don't know what the right path is. Sympathize with everyone going through this miasma of testing/ treatment .

JAH

Research 1st

Severe ME, POTS & MCAS.
IGG BAND 28 Negative
IGG BAND 30 Negative
IGG BAND 39 Negative
IGG BAND 41 Positive
IGG BAND 45 Positive
IGG BAND 58 Negative
IGG BAND 66 Negative
IGG BAND 93 Negative
NOTE: LYME ANTIBODY (IgG) by WESTERN BLOT is considered to be positive if any 5
out of the following 10 bands are present: 18, 23, 28, 30, 39, 41, 45, 58,
66, 93 kDa.

LYME IGG INTERPRETATION Negative
IGM BAND 23 Negative
IGM BAND 39 Negative
IGM BAND 41 Negative
NOTE: LYME ANTIBODY (IgM) by WESTERN BLOT is considered to be positive if any
2 out of the following 3 bands are present: 23, 39, 41 kDa.

LYME IGM INTERPRETATION Negative

I'm positive for IGG Band 41 and 45. Just wondering what these results indicate. Clearly I don't meet the 5 out of 10 band criteria for lyme, but is it normal to have a few positive bands?

Hello.

If you can't get a definitive positive blood test off the 'approved' 2-tier method (unlikely if chronically sick) or IGENEX in America, but still have the signs of Lyme, consider sending your blood to Germany on a 24hr postal service like FEDEX. It might get there in time, but I don't know how far you are.

The LTT test is EU, but not IDSA/CDC approved for Lyme and can show positive results for seronegative Lyme, that are otherwise missed. (Lyme tests are important to have if you have Lyme but get told you have 'CFS').

The way I 'prove' this is to always run a Borrelia Antibody test, alongside an LTT. In Chronic Lyme, often seronegative, you'll get a very weak antibody response, usually (but not always) with a much stronger positive Interferon Gamma (Cytokine) response against Borrelia. This proves an intracellular active infection. As I said, you may need repeat tests, to catch a strong response on the day. Lyme tests, are notoriously bad as the bacteria can go into the tissue, with practically non detectable in the blood.

The Germans also do a Chlamydia Pneumonia (Cpn) LTT as well, including an EBV LTT, Chlamydia Trachomatis LTT, and Ehrlichia/Anaplasma LTT.

Regarding Cpn when chronic, due to being a Cell Wall Deficient (CWD) bacteria (as is Mycoplasma), this means the body has a pathetically weak immune response to it, thus as its not treated, it can become chronic and intracellular and make you real sick, So again, I run a Chlamydia Pneumoniae antibody tests alongside the LTT. If your LTT is off the scale, then you have chronic Cpn, a Lyme co infection and can be hard to treat.

http://www.cpnhelp.org/cpn_and_cap_overview

The German LTT tests are called 'Elispot' (from Arminlabs) and the one at BCA-Lab (also in Germany) is called 'Lymespot Revised'. It now looks at IL-2 as well as IFN-Gamma response to Borrelia.

In the UK people have to move to Germany, to get the treatment as the LTT test is a way to show Chronic Lyme that has evaded the immune system (seronegative), and naturally, no one wants to admit that in charge of letting the Lyme epidemic get out of control, as it shows it's the possible cause of CFS is Chronic Lyme or a Lyme like disease, involving another bacteria, perhaps a BLO (Bartonella Like Organism).

CFS patients with signs of chronic Lyme (Arthritis, POTS, Neuropathy, Seizures etc) should be mindful they aren't screened for Lyme or it's co-infections at time of diagnosis for their CFS, and the 2-tier test doesn't work reliably anyway. Worse still, 40% are negative for Borrelia with the Bullseye rash. On that basis, I personally think it's worth running LTT's if you get seronegative responses and have also come back negative on a PCR test. (PCR testing in Borelia and it's co infections has poor sensitivity but great specificity. In other words, if you are positive on a Borrelia PCR it's positive, but if you're negative, only around 20% of some PCR tests are positive, when they actually are positive! (E.g. it might take you 5 tests to get a positive PCR test when you are already confirmed infected).

Hence it's worth running an LTT in seronegative Lyme, in my view.

I hope that's of some use.