• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Low fat diet for lyme?

My LLMD wants me to try a low->no fat vegan diet to go along with antibiotic treatment because it supposedly helps reduce biofilms that lyme and other pathogens can use to protect themselves. This is pretty much the opposite of the paleo diet I have gotten accustomed to over the past 6 months or so and seems to at least be helping some with GI issues.

Anyone have results with a forks over knives type diet?

I already struggle with losing weight, so worried about switching to a diet that is less calorically dense

Rolo

Too ill to twist
Hi Erist,

I have CFS/ME and I have tried so many different diets over the last 15 years, but nothing that really helps, But since 12 days I'm trying out a complete fat free diet. This means no fat except a little bit from lean chicken (cooked). I'm also leaving out all carbohydrates/grains (except sugar). Basically, I'm eating raw en cooked vegetables, fruits and cooked lean chicken. I know it's look quit extreme but the strange thing is that I'm feeling better. Especially I've less brain-fog and I'm more productive. It is really noticeable. The improvements started after +/- 4 days.

My experience is that it is really essential to leave out all fats. Otherwise it will not work. My next step is also leaving out the lean chicken. Living only on fruits and vegetables (for a few days/weeks)

Ten years ago I followed a similar diet (modified F.X. Mayr diet) and after 15 days, my immune system kicked in again. I was then really sick for 2 days but felt like reborn after that, but after one week I relapsed. Reason.? Maybe because I started again with eating fats. I've always thought it had something to do week with the food of the diets itself. But maybe it was because of something the diet was missing --> fats (& proteins).

Like I've mentioned before: It is quit extreme but I'm feeling better right now. I'm also hoping that within a few days my immune system will react like 10 years again. Let's hope.

These are my experience, not be mistaken as an advice.

Good luck,
Rolo

Ema

My LLMD wants me to try a low->no fat vegan diet to go along with antibiotic treatment because it supposedly helps reduce biofilms that lyme and other pathogens can use to protect themselves. This is pretty much the opposite of the paleo diet I have gotten accustomed to over the past 6 months or so and seems to at least be helping some with GI issues.

Anyone have results with a forks over knives type diet?

I already struggle with losing weight, so worried about switching to a diet that is less calorically dense
I would not think that this would be a good idea based on my own personal experience with very low fat diets and that of friends and acquaintances that made themselves very ill from years of vegan/vegetarian diets.

I have not read through all of Fry's work in this area but I am confused as to how he proposes that the fats contribute to the formation of biofilms. I thought that biofilms secreted their own slimy substances. I know that they can use minerals and that there is some discussion of limiting minerals (magnesium in particular) but I have not really heard of very many other LLMD's recommending limiting fats. Mine, for example, does not recommend this.

It's a tough call because in depriving the colonies of minerals, we also deprive ourselves of necessary minerals. My LLMD feels that it is better to feed a few bugs than starve our own bodies of crucial minerals and I agree with her.

Many of us also seem to have LOW cholesterol which is necessary for cell membrane stability. If this is true in your case, it would seem to be even less wise to limit good fats.

There are lots of good biofilm busters out there...Lactoferrin, lumbrokinase/serrapeptase, Rechts-Regulat, etc etc. I think this would be a much safer way to go especially if you have trouble keeping weight on.

I would also suggest reading a book called "The Vegetarian Myth" which is truly eye opening (written by a former vegan).

Ema
http://www.amazon.com/Vegetarian-Myth-Food-Justice-Sustainability/dp/1604860804