• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Low Dhea

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
This was told to me by someone very smart here

Think of hormones as a stream, at the top is cholesterol and pregnenolone which flows down to dhea and progesterone. Progesterone flows on to cortisol. Dhea flows onto testosterone and estrogen. It seems more common in women for dhea to convert to testosterone and men estrogen.

The Hypothalmus makes the signals to produce hormones but in many of us it isn't happening so we add the hormones that the hypothalmus isn't stimulating

But all these hormones have their own effects. Dhea helps balance out the negative effects of cortisol .

It's all a balance. Hormones and neurotransmitters control bp, blood sugar and sleep and alot of functions that are normally controlled automatically by hypothalmus which is the control panel

sillysocks84

Autoimmune
Studies have shown DHEA to be of therapeutic value in SLE, rheumatoid arthritis, and multiple sclerosis. DHEA levels are often low in patients with these diseases, at least in part due to adrenal suppressive drugs such as prednisone. A return to normal physiologic levels appears to reduce immune complex formation, inhibit lymphocyte proliferation, and increase stamina and sense of wellbeing. (1) In a small clinical trial in which 10 women with mild to moderate SLE were given 200 mg/day DHEA for three to six months, eight of the 10 women reported improvement in fatigue, energy levels, and overall wellbeing. (6) An additional study was conducted in which 50 women with mild to moderate SLE were given 50-200 mg/day DHEA for six to 12 months. Results demonstrated decreasing disease activity over the entire treatment period, as measured by the SLE Disease Activity Index. Benefits were sustained one year post-treatment, regardless of menopausal status. (7)

Allergy
Several clinical studies have demonstrated DHEA, given in doses of 10-74 mg/day, to be of benefit in treating food allergy, multiple chemical sensitivity, asthma, and hereditary angioedema. These studies reported a decrease in severity of symptoms regardless of whether patients were receiving corticosteroid therapy or not. (1)

But I don't know the mechanism for it.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
I dont have a link but remember reading dhea had antiinflammatory effects against tnf alpha , so possible it also affects other inflammatory cytokines etc. I guess its all about keeping everything in balance so the body runs more efficiently or in our case tries to.

Mary

Moderator Resource
@sillysocks84 - I've been taking 25 mg. DHEA I think for more than 10 years, on my doctor's recommendation. I just buy it from Swanson's. I know it's not hurting me, I don't know how I would feel without it because I've been taking it so long, but I think I still need it.

I also take 25 mg. pregnenolone, also from Swanson's, on the same doctor's recommendation, and again, don't know how I would feel without it but I know it's not hurting.

So, yes, if you're low in DHEA, I'm sure it would be good for you to supplement it. Minkeygirl is right in that for many of us, our hypothalamus is out whack and not doing what it is supposed to do. Hopefully an endocrinologist can help you, although I suspect you might have better luck with an integrative or functional medicine doctor (though I could be wrong!)