• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Live tweeting from James Coyne talks in Belfast, Sun 7 & Tues 9 Feb, #PACEni

Sasha

Fine, thank you
BAMmag said:
Sally Burch, a Trustee of Hope 4 ME & Fibro NI and ME patient, said: “There was a good turn out, and a great deal of curiosity about James Coyne himself at first. As he continued to speak there was a growing sense of optimism in the room. I was live tweeting from the event using the tag #PACEni and towards the end I read out a couple of messages from Twitter where patients unable to attend offered their thanks to James Coyne for his involvement. There was a spontaneous round of applause in the room after this.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
From the blog of a patient who attended the talk:

https://memineandotherbits.wordpress.com/2016/02/08/a-murmuration/

For me, the heartwarming bit was his recognition of how patients have been blamed for their ongoing ill health. He made the comparison with cancer patients- the notion of a ‘good attitude’ improving cancer outcomes has long been discredited. The group were challenged, inspired and motivated by his assertion that the treatment of patients amounted to a civil rights issue, and would be addressed as such in the US.

The so called ‘dangerous activist nutcases’ looked at each other in some surprise. Did he mean us? Well, actually, yes, he did, and he should have. We sat up straighter, we who are used to being ignored, blamed or ridiculed. We held our heads up and wondered what we could do about it, this attitude that is a societal problem and not a medical one.