• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Leg exercise & OI

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I am noticing that during the rest of the day after an equipment pilates class (done lying down with weighted machines) I don't have any OI. My guess is that, as we do rather intense leg exercise, I am increasing venous return and getting more blood to the brain.

Muscles seem to stay "active" for some hours after intense exercise, so the effect lasts at least the rest of the day. Now I need to track how long it lasts--the next day too maybe?

Anyone else experiencing this?

Sushi

Ruthie24

I have noticed that if I do any exercise that exceeds my anaerobic threshold, even if for short durations, I have more OI issues for the rest of the day and my HR monitor is going off much more frequently doing routine things that don't usually set it off. I assume that makes sense in a way as they say that the "benefits" of exercise last beyond when you exercise....it's just not the particular benefit I want right now. :)

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I have noticed that if I do any exercise that exceeds my anaerobic threshold, even if for short durations, I have more OI issues for the rest of the day and my HR monitor is going off much more frequently doing routine things that don't usually set it off. I assume that makes sense in a way as they say that the "benefits" of exercise last beyond when you exercise....it's just not the particular benefit I want right now. :)

Hey Ruthie,

I wear a HR monitor in class and stay way below my anaerobic threshold in this class. I get the same results as you if I go over my AR.

Sushi

I can get a short term reprieve from OI symptoms from muscle use, but it lasts a few minutes and then I get all of the other problems - worse OI, crash, etc.

Firestormm

Finding an appropriate means of exercising, e.g. lying down as Sushi is able to manage, has been known to relieve OT for some considerable time I believe. I think even Julia Newton will say that appropriate exercise is one means of improving symptoms. Loads on the internet. I was reading and searching whilst composing a reply. Here's one that contains a little about exercise under 'E' ;)

Preventing and treating orthostatic hypotension: As easy as A, B, C

Sasha

Fine, thank you

Nancy Klimas has said that if PWME go over their anaerobic threshold (which tends to be much lower than that of healthy people), the autonomic system 'tanks' and takes the immune system with it. She hasn't presented any data on that but your experience is very interesting.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
I am noticing that during the rest of the day after an equipment pilates class (done lying down with weighted machines) I don't have any OI. My guess is that, as we do rather intense leg exercise, I am increasing venous return and getting more blood to the brain.

Muscles seem to stay "active" for some hours after intense exercise, so the effect lasts at least the rest of the day. Now I need to track how long it lasts--the next day too maybe?

Anyone else experiencing this?

Sushi

Do you think you're staying under your anaerobic threshold?

ukxmrv

I've tried both Pilates and atable top "passive" exercise but after both had the normal OI symptoms after and PEM. Swimming as well using a butterfly leg action, which I would have expected to act as a pump also didn't help if I was or tepid weather. Cold water was much better but I could still only do a small amount. Used this to try and build up on my disastrous exercise programs.

Where I did notice was an improvement as you mentioned (bit it was maybe not as long) was when I was seeing a very short dentist who had a chair that tipped me upside down (far more than other dentists) and very good aircon

taniaaust1

Strengthening leg muscles is meant to help in venus return in POTS. I tried it thou and for me it didnt help, even if I end up with well toned leg muscles, no change for me in my OI.