• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Lasting stomach discomfort after taking Vicodin

Hi,
Ten days ago, I got a couple wisdom teeth taken out and was prescribed Vicodin (5mg hydrocodone/300mg acetaminophen).

On the first day, I took 1.5 tablets. Next day 2.5, and the third day after, just .75. That night and the next few days after that, I felt very symptomatic, mainly a resurgence of my POTS with awful anxiety and some unusual extreme nausea. Things that I get on a weekly basis, but way stronger, and the nausea was new I think.

It settled down to a baseline after a few days, and ~6 days after I took another half tablet. Still, I feel I have a constant low-grade indigestion-like feeling, and I hope it's not related to having too much Tylenol. I didn't even come close to any toxicity limit, but since I have MTHFR mutations and POTS, I may have low glutathione. My liver's still fine though with these low doses, yeah?

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
I don't think the acetaminophen level is hurting your liver. You might be experiencing withdrawal effects from taking hydrocodone. I've heard about this happening with regular users, but perhaps it can also affect anyone who takes it for a shorter time. I take Vicodin on a regular basis; if I go for longer than 18 hours without a dose my nose runs like crazy.

https://www.addictioncenter.com/painkillers/hydrocodone/withdrawal/
On average, withdrawal symptoms show up within 6-48 hours of the last dose and continue for a week or longer.
First 48 hours
Symptoms start to arise within the first day without hydrocodone. One of the first symptoms is usually aching in the muscles, joints or bones. During this period, some people experience nausea, abdominal cramping and sweating.

Days 3-5 As the body adjusts to life without hydrocodone, withdrawal symptoms will peak. During this time, the body expels toxins through vomiting, diarrhea and excessive sweating. Some people experience shaking and lingering muscle aches.

Days 6-7 Most physical symptoms have subsided, leaving the psychological ones at the forefront. Anxiety, depression and a desire to return to the drug can all show up at the end of withdrawal. Former addicts whose minds have begun to clear often feel shame and remorse for things they did and said while high.

Days 8+ Depending on the person, psychological withdrawal symptoms, such as anxiety, can linger for a month or more after stopping use.

It sounds like you should get in touch with your doctor (not necessarily the dentist) to help you get through this. They might be able to suggest how to taper your doses. There are also medications that can help.

Withdrawal Medications Used in Detox
Medications can ease the discomfort of withdrawal. These medications work by tricking the body into thinking it is still getting hydrocodone.
  • Clonidine and buprenorphine are the most common drugs prescribed during hydrocodone detox. These drugs ease symptoms such as anxiety, sweating, muscle pain and vomiting.
  • Naltrexone is another medication sometimes used in hydrocodone detox. It blocks the effects of opioids and can help speed detox. In some cases, it can reduce detox to as little as four days.