When the 'Holiday Season' Is No Holiday at all for Those With ME/CFS
Is December getting to you? Jody Smith shares some thoughts on some of the struggles that all too often attend this time of year ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Knitting Equals Pleasure, Despite ME/CFS

Discussion in 'Phoenix Rising Articles' started by Jody, Sep 2, 2014.

1. IreneF

IreneF Senior Member

San Francisco
    Kids' things are so much fun to make. My sewing room is slowly coming together. I don't even have the energy to clear off the table, tho.

My daughter is a good kid. She's had a slow start because of anxiety and adhd, but her bf has really helped her since she moved in with him. She just needs to get her education completed. Unfortunately, she's a bio major, and the labs tend to have toxins, so pregnancy would be unwise. I told her I would help her out if I could, but that's really asking for a miracle at this point.

2. Jody

Jody Senior Member

Canada
    lol That's me, exactly! :)

3. August59

August59 Daughters High School Graduation

Upstate SC, USA
    Activity like knitting probably stimulates many muscles from fingers, hands, arms, shoulders, neck, back and etc.......

Even with just 10 minutes it probably exerts a minor effect on metabolic rate, in someone with S.E.I.D.!!!!!!! I imagine that this minor effect can be therapeutic for many of us. I squeeze a stress ball several times a day and contract/flex my feet as well.

Even what most people would consider trivial can be therapeutic for people with S.E.I.D. (this to hard to type!!!)

Jody likes this.
  4. Folky girl

Folky girl

Thanks for the article. I can very much relate! Knitting has made me feel like I'm achieving something when I otherwise can't even do basic things. It has been a sanity saver many times, including during hospital stays. I'm a songwriter and have written a song about knitting with ME/CFS. (I'm not trying to make any money, you can listen for free)

It's here https://naomiflanagan.bandcamp.com/track/love-in-angora-2

5. Jody

Jody Senior Member

Canada
    Folky girl,

There is nothing quite like knitting for reclaiming a sense of peace ... or at least a semblance of it.

That's wonderful that you are able to write songs.:)

See more popular forum discussions.