• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Just Started LDN and Would Like Some Feedback

JPV

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs
Ok, so I finally took the plunge and got some liquid LDN that I started taking yesterday.

I took a 1mg dose yesterday around 5:30pm. I got very groggy around 7:30pm and fell asleep for a couple of hours. I went back to sleep around 2am, a couple of hours earlier than my current bedtime. This is a bit odd as I usually stay up much later if I've taken a nap. I slept until about 11am, which is more or less how long I usually sleep.

Today, I took another 1mg dose around 12pm and got groggy again around 2pm. I slept for 2 hours again.

it's only been a couple of days but there seems to be a pattern of it making me sleepy a couple of hours after taking it. I haven't noticed any other obvious side effects other than perhaps more vivd dreams.

Everything I've read about LDN suggests that it normally tends to to make it hard for people to fall asleep. It seems to be having the opposite effect on me.

The only other things I'm taking these days are a couple of tablets of Miyarisan and 300-400mcg of liquid Melatonin before bedtime.

Any ideas as to why I might be reacting this way?

halcyon

I thought this was pretty common with LDN. Klimas prescribes it to be taken at bedtime as far as I understand.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Everything I've read about LDN suggests that it normally tends to to make it hard for people to fall asleep. It seems to be having the opposite effect on me.
The usual thing is getting insomnia for a few days at first and when raising the dose, but...it makes me sleepy and groggy the next day if my dose is too high. I've fiddled with doses to find the balance, but I'd guess it is different for everyone. Also, for me it changes. I used to be able to take 4.5 mgs, now I take 3 mgs and I sometimes go up or down according to the sleepiness factor.

Misfit Toy

@JPV -I know this is a stupid question having nothing to do with LDN, but how is your "senior member" upside down under your avatar? Am I on too many drugs? I am looking at it like....maybe I am taking too much Molybdenum!

Okay, I would rather deal with sleepy than insomnia but depending on the dose, hopefully you will find the right balance.

JPV

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs
I thought this was pretty common with LDN. Klimas prescribes it to be taken at bedtime as far as I understand.
I don't have the info handy but I seem to remember reading that the doctor, who originally said to take it night, no longer recommends doing so.

I guess the idea was to have the dosing coincide with the timing of some immune activity that the body is engaged in during sleep. I guess it turns out that it doesn't really make much difference and a lot of people had sleep issues taking it at night anyway.

Last edited:

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I guess the idea was to have the dosing coincide with the timing of some immune activity that the body is engaged in during sleep. I guess it turns out that it doesn't really make much difference and a lot of people had sleep issues taking at night anyway.
Dr. Jarred Younger and some of the others are now saying it doesn't matter when you take it. In fact Younger is experimenting with more than one dose per day. I've been scared to try that but I probably will. :cool:

daisybell

I take a double dose (9mg) in the morning... This seems to work ok. Initially 4.5 mg was enough but the effect wore off. Taking it twice a day didn't really help either! So it seems that there is quite a lot of variability in how we all find it...

JPV

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs
I take a double dose (9mg) in the morning... This seems to work ok. Initially 4.5 mg was enough but the effect wore off. Taking it twice a day didn't really help either!
I'm not sure if it applies to LDN but @Sidereal made a comment about Dr. Jay Goldstein suggesting that high doses of Inositol might be able to reverse drug tolerance. The discussion starts here...

Dr. Jay Goldstein's Rapid Remission ME/CFS Treatments. (Post #323)

Here's the excerpt, posted by @Hip, from Goldstein's book...

A Companion Volume to Dr. Jay A. Goldstein's Betrayal by the Brain