• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Is this PEM or Exercise Intolerance?

I was always very active - powerlifting, biking, etc, until April of last year, I had a sort of cardiac event (extreme dizziness, thirst) that was possibly the result of a virus. It started as what felt like a panic attack, but it didn't respond to benzos or time. As it turned out, I had mild cardiomyopathy and some abnormal stress tests.

Now, my echocardiogram is actually normal, but the stress test still is abnormal. I basically have some ischemia after exertion.

With symptom severity changing over the months, now, the day after and often several hours after exertion - meaning an hour-long walk, or 10-15 minutes of yoga - my "anxiety" spikes, my body feels like it goes into overdrive, I get muscle pains all over (intense leg and back soreness from just 10 minutes of yoga). I even get some psychotic/anger-like mental things going on.

I guess my main questions are - How would you categorize these symptoms, and what should be my next step to go about it? My psychiatrist believes I have a problem with my autonomic nervous system, and my integrative cardiologist may have something to say, and I feel like my low dose Carvedilol makes symptoms worse. I was thinking either a Skype consult with Dr. Enlander (I live in NJ, but funds are limited), or even a consult with Joe Cohen, that guy from selfhacked.com.. but he wouldn't be able to order me any tests.

Sorry for the lack of detail, let me know if you need more info... trying to save my morning energy for some work, I had a very bad episode last night.

Also, in August 2015, I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism and started desiccated thyroid treatment. I don't think my blood tests showed hypothyroidism any time before the initial event in April 2015...

If it means anything, I'm a 26-year-old male.

aaron_c

How long do your post-exertion symptoms last for? Is an increase in fatigue part of the post-exertion symptom set?

It lasts for at least 24 hours. I do feel more fatigued, but I am still able to do things around the house, or work for a couple hours a day. My mind is definitely less clear during this time, and mood disturbances and anxiety shoot up. I also often feel a tightness around my lower throat.

I was never diagnosed with CFS or anything, never sought it out.

Earlier today I went to my family physician, and he said to get off of my beta-blocker (3mg/day Carvedilol) and go for cardiac rehab. I still feel like these autonomic symptoms go a distance farther than basic cardiac function, but I'll see...

aaron_c

Sorry, I admit I'm not getting anywhere. Anyone else have a suggestion?

Best of luck finding answers, and I hope you will share them here when you do.

PS. I found this on a possible cause of your rage. I have no idea if it pertains to your situation, but on the slight possibility that it is useful to you, you may want to check it out.