• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Is this OI?

Amaya2014

Recently, I've had to go to an office that is on the 8th floor of a building. Using the elevator is difficult and I find that I'm dragging my body out of the elevator and having to lean against the wall to remain upright. I get the sensation that I will drop to the floor if I attemp to move and my head and body get that heavy feeling? Any thoughts?

taniaaust1

If its just set off by elevators I doubt if it would be OI. OI would usually happen no matter where you are esp if you are standing still eg in shower or standing elsewhere etc etc (standing still can be often harder for those with OI due to low blood volume).

It may instead by some kind of disorientation issue due to the movement around you while standing still.

Amaya2014

@taniaaust1 I am okay in the shower and standing except needing to find support or lay down after some showers. I have been diagnosed with vertigo and have trouble with movement such as I'm parked and a car next to me starts moving.
It's an odd experience almost like what a person would feel if the elevator just dropped into free fall (but I experience it going up or down in the elevator). Maybe it's a loss of equilibrium...