• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Is there Pure Chloride supplement?

Is there Pure Chloride supplement? As I read about it benefits and how it can clean your blood and detoxify your body.

Wishful

Pure chloride doesn't really make sense. Pure 'whatever metal' chloride is readily available. Table salt is sodium chloride. Pure chlorine is a really bad idea as a supplement. ;)

I've never heard of any chlorides being particularly purifying/detoxifying. Since your body already has large amounts of chloride ions floating around in it (.4% of body weight just for NaCl), I don't see how adding a little bit more would make a big difference. My guess is that you've read a non-scientific marketing claim about health benefits from 'pure chloride'. If you're convinced that you are suffering from elevated levels of something, you should look for something specific for reducing it.

Pure chloride doesn't really make sense. Pure 'whatever metal' chloride is readily available. Table salt is sodium chloride. Pure chlorine is a really bad idea as a supplement. ;)

I've never heard of any chlorides being particularly purifying/detoxifying. Since your body already has large amounts of chloride ions floating around in it (.4% of body weight just for NaCl), I don't see how adding a little bit more would make a big difference. My guess is that you've read a non-scientific marketing claim about health benefits from 'pure chloride'. If you're convinced that you are suffering from elevated levels of something, you should look for something specific for reducing it.

Thanks for your reply, I have symptoms of CFS and hyperammonemia. Because chlorine neutralize ammonia in water, it must be chloride does the same in blood.

Wishful

Look more into the reactions between chlorine and ammonia. A quick check shows that it converts ammonia to chloramines. Whether chloramines are healthier in the body than ammonia is a whole different question. The body has ways to eliminate ammonia. Maybe try to reduce ammonia production first?

If you have medically significant hyperammonemia, your doctor should be able to prescribe appropriate treatment. Lactulose sounds a lot safer than trying to use chlorine. I think most chlorides would not react with ammonia, since they come with ions that bind more strongly than ammonia. Otherwise salt water would be as reactive as chlorine, which it isn't.