• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Is research into MS and EBV leading the trail to a better understanding of CFS/ME?

Wally

I believe this paper may already have been posted in this Forum, but my search attempts have failed to locate a copy. This paper gives a fairly extensive overview of research related to EBV and MS including reference to treatment of MS with Rituxan (Rituximab). In light of the current studies involving CFS/ME and Rituxan, I thought there might be interest in reviewing this paper to see how these findings may link to current CFS/ME research.

http://nro.sagepub.com/content/early/2010/11/11/1073858410381531.full.pdf

Esther12

It does seem that understanding of the role EBV plays in CFS is more likely to come from those researching other conditions than CFS. A condition like MS is less bogged down in quackery, and gets more funding.

I'm not sure how likely it is that the MS research will be easily translatable to CFS, but it should make it harder to believe that glandular fever plays such a significant role in triggering CFS just because it leads to deconditioning or a fear of activity.

I find the relationship between MS and ME quite interesting. My daughter has ME, and she has a maternal aunt and paternal uncle with MS. There are also a number of relatives on both sides with RF, which she also has. I personally believe that ME has an autoimmune basis.