• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Is it possible to get your life back? Has anyone here done it?

mariovitali

Hi @silky

Yes it is possible to get your life back. It happened to me after almost a decade of problems. I had a mixture of CFS and something called Post-Finasteride Syndrome. I am symptom-free as long as i take a number of supplements based on my DNA. Needless to say that it took me several months to finally accept that i was Symptom-free. I could easily tell you that what i am experiencing is nothing short than a miracle.

I could probably tell a lot of things about myself, how i did it but there is one word that matters.

The word is persistence.

This is what kept me going and i guess all of us here. Consider all of these posts written, supplements taken, tests taken, Years spent Researching on what on earth is happening with us. By all of us.

So It's primarily about being persistent despite all the failures that you will experience.I also strongly believe that we are getting very close in finding what is going on.

Hang in there :)

dannybex

Ditto, @Inester7. Too much Vitamin C / immune boosters: bad. I take Lactoferrin, but only at night, because otherwise it's too much inflammation to deal with.

Stuff that directly kills bugs, like colloidal silver? Very good.

Doesn't colloidal silver also kill some good bacteria? I read that somewhere...will try to find the link.

dannybex

Colloidal silver is bogus. It’s the only product in my whole foods with a warning sign. https://nccih.nih.gov/health/silver

Thanks for your concern @sharks, but that wasn't the question. I'm well aware of the overblown controversy surrounding CS, which was used for decades before standard antibiotics were developed in the 1940's. There are also studies showing it's effectiveness btw. My concern is whether it kills or inhibits all bacteria/fungi/etc. @JaimeS ?

Nearly four years in but doing much better. Became very ill after graded exercise, spent a year needing a walking stick to get around. Changed my diet, pumped myself full of vitamins and nutrients and paced, planned and postponed my life as much as possible. My social life and many friends wandered off into the distance but I never gave up hope, and now, though nowhere near 100% good health I am now playing a much bigger part in my children’s lives, I’m supporting my wife in the home as she studies for a degree and works full time to support us and I can now drive around to nearby towns (15-20 mins) with minimal PEM. I still plan everything I do so when I know I need to be somewhere or do something I’ve got the next day free so that I don’t then do too much. It’s hard work, it’s painful and it’s frustrating as hell but the rewards when my kids and me are laughing and mucking around together is priceless. I think it will be another 4-5 years before my body can cope with this level of activity without inducing any PEM.

JaimeS

Thanks for your concern @sharks, but that wasn't the question. I'm well aware of the overblown controversy surrounding CS, which was used for decades before standard antibiotics were developed in the 1940's. There are also studies showing it's effectiveness btw. My concern is whether it kills or inhibits all bacteria/fungi/etc. @JaimeS ?

Long answer, and I hesitate to give it because reports are so contradictory. All I can offer is my own personal experience and some background info.

A weak silver nitrate solution used to be employed to wipe the gunk off of newborns' eyes, so yes, up until recently silver solutions were used in allopathic medicine as a matter of course.

Silver nitrate =/= colloidal silver; silver nitrate is an ionic compound, so it separates into Ag+ and NO3- swiftly and easily in solution. Colloidal silver is just Ag: no charge. That makes it less reactive and therefore less instantly antimicrobial. The idea of using nanoparticles rather than larger chunks is to increase the surface area: mass ratio in order to expose more of the silver to oxygen and cause it to slowly ionize. It's still a lot less reactive than Ag+ in solution, which will kill bacteria more swiftly.

Colloidal silver is often considered an antiviral, but it certainly can kill bacteria as well since its mechanism of action is so general. This wiki has a good synopsis of mechanism of action: https://microbewiki.kenyon.edu/index.php/Silver_as_an_Antimicrobial_Agent

However, I place it in a different category from 'herbal antibiotics' like GSE. GSE overuse has caused serious alterations in the microbiome of myself and others I know personally. However, I've never observed microbiome disturbances in people who've used colloidal silver, including myself; and I used quite a bit at one point. It did, however, clear up some skin stuff that I thought was possibly infectious and that I had been trying to get rid of pretty much since onset through topical and internal use. It also (finally, finally) got rid of the tongue gunk I'd had off and on since I started anti-fungals. So in my books, it's active but stops short of being harmful.

Because colloidal silver is 'alternative', there are a number of studies scoffing that it has no benefit, others saying it's too toxic to use (or, bafflingly, both -- implying it's toxic to human cells but simultaneously that it has no ability to affect other types of cells; improbable) and yet others giving a more reasoned opinion. I was worried about taking it because of all these contradictory reports.

To find out if these concerns were meaningful, I calculated how much colloidal silver it would take before my body gathered up enough silver to be toxic. The answer was (at the current concentration) multiple bottles a day every day for 30 years. Additionally, I found out that argyria, the condition caused by silver toxicity, is considered a rare condition in the US, meaning a percent prevalence less than 0.05%. Since colloidal silver is on the shelf of every natural foods store in the US, I'm left to assume people aren't poisoning themselves left and right. I also spoke to someone who took it by the cupful in acute situations and had for years without turning their skin blue!

I was pretty desperate given my co-infections, and willing to give it a try; my mathematics coupled with the testimony of someone who had taken large amounts without signs of silver toxicity, and multiple friends who took it occasionally when they got the flu with no ill effects convinced me it wasn't immediately harmful, and therefore worth a try.

As always, caveat emptor, and do the math yourself! Satisfy yourself that there's no chance of reaching toxicity with the brand you're taking and the dose you're using. Consider the potential toxicity cumulative; it's hard to clear heavy metals. The wiki I linked you to claims that the 'lifetime max' of silver ingestion without effects is considered to be 10-g. Keep in mind, also, that in the US you will get silver exposure through your water, since it is sometimes woven in carbon fibers of filters and sink hardware due to its antimicrobial properties... so your colloidal silver dose isn't your only source of silver.

Whew! Probably more than you wanted to hear. Remember: I'm not a doctor, this is not medical advice; and just because it helped me unfortunately doesn't mean it will improve everyone's situation.

-J

dannybex

However, I place it in a different category from 'herbal antibiotics' like GSE. GSE overuse has caused serious alterations in the microbiome of myself and others I know personally. However, I've never observed microbiome disturbances in people who've used colloidal silver, including myself; and I used quite a bit at one point. It did, however, clear up some skin stuff that I thought was possibly infectious and that I had been trying to get rid of pretty much since onset through topical and internal use. It also (finally, finally) got rid of the tongue gunk I'd had off and on since I started anti-fungals. So in my books, it's active but stops short of being harmful.

Because colloidal silver is 'alternative', there are a number of studies scoffing that it has no benefit, others saying it's too toxic to use (or, bafflingly, both -- implying it's toxic to human cells but simultaneously that it has no ability to affect other types of cells; improbable) and yet others giving a more reasoned opinion. I was worried about taking it because of all these contradictory reports.

Whew! Probably more than you wanted to hear. Remember: I'm not a doctor, this is not medical advice; and just because it helped me unfortunately doesn't mean it will improve everyone's situation.

-J

Thanks so much @JaimeS -- I really appreciate the time you took to explain in detail your research into CS, and especially how you did so in user-friendly terms.

A couple questions:

"Tongue gunk". Do you mean, one with a heavy white/yellow/(insert other color) coating, or the infamous 'geographic tongue' -- or maybe a combo of both? I'm curious because my tongue can be "fine" for awhile, but typically develops a thick coating, often depending on what I've eaten. In hindsight the latter is a lot more common than the former. But interesting that yours came on after antifungals...

Thanks in advance.

And p.s. I take your information just as that, and not medical advice. We're all different, and what works for one, might not for another, and could even make them/me worse. But I know I won't turn blue.

JaimeS

"Tongue gunk". Do you mean, one with a heavy white/yellow/(insert other color) coating

Yep! That. Especially when I had nuts, grains, or sugars, it appeared practically instantly. Gross.

But interesting that yours came on after antifungals...

I figure it was whatever fungi was resistant to the antifungal I was taking. It just... took over.

I take your information just as that, and not medical advice. We're all different, and what works for one, might not for another, and could even make them/me worse. But I know I won't turn blue

:cool:

Hehehheh.

JaimeS

FYI -- someone used the image I posted of myself and my friend for an article in The Mighty. They also paraphrased things I'd written here about the trip. My paraphrased dialogue was later quoted from that post in someone else's blog about dating with disabilities.

Just a reminder that everything you post here is public and anyone can do with it what they like... :rolleyes: including put words in your mouth. Misspelled ones, even. :confused: