New Atmosphere, New Vision: Gibson and Whittemore Kick Off Invest in ME Conference 2016
Mark Berry reports on Dr. Gibson's introduction and Dr. Whittemore's keynote speech, at the 11th Invest in ME International ME Conference in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Is a full recovery possible after cognitive behavioural therapy for chronic fatigue syndrome? Knoop

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Dolphin, Feb 4, 2018.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

2. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

When I initially read this I thought that the SIP8 criterion <=203 was part of the definition of full recovery. However looking back on it again I think maybe it is not included (and that if it was used the figure for full recovery might be lower).

If one looks at the group of those with comorbidities in Table 4., "No disabilities in all domains" = 9%. However, "Combining criteria of fatigue, disabilities and perception of health and fatigue" = 12%. This latter figure should really be 9% or lower if "No disabilities in all domains" is a criterion, though I suppose if there was missing data on some items, it would be possible to get an overall percentage of 12%.

If one looks at table 1, the part below the line seems to be set of criteria used for full recovery. The SIP8 part is not used there.

Knoop et al., 2007 table 1.png

Similarly the text says:
    I.e. no mention of the SIP8

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
  3. concepcion

concepcion Senior Member

This "study" is 10 years old.

andyguitar likes this.
  4. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Yes, but the recent paper by Twisk & Corsius got me thinking about it again. I couldn't fit the year in the title.

concepcion likes this.
  5. Learner1

Learner1 Forum Support Assistant

Pacific Northwest
    I'm scratching my head trying to figure out how CBT would cure infections, immune system dysfunction, nutrient and hormone deficiencies/imbalances, toxicity, and/or other problems underlying ME/CFS for many patients.

Did the patients in the study have PEM or othostatic intolerance? Were those measured as recovered, too, with CBT?

Dolphin and andyguitar like this.
  6. Jesse2233

Jesse2233 Senior Member

Southern California
    23% could encompass spontaneous remission, misdiagnosis, methodalogical errors, and relapse / remitting patterns

andyguitar, alex3619 and Learner1 like this.

See more popular forum discussions.