Invisible Illness Awareness Week 2016: Our Voices Need to Be Heard
Never heard of Invisible Illness Awareness Week? You're not alone. Jody Smith sheds a little light to make it more visible
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Invest in ME/Prof Jonathan Edwards statement on UK Rituximab trial, 30 July

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Sasha, Jul 30, 2013.

1. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Hibernating

South Australia
    I think this is asking too much, it is not Jonathan's place to answer this at this point in time.

Does it matter? The results of this trial and the Norwegian phase III trial are most likely to be interpreted together, so either way don't hold your breath until 2017...

Bob likes this.
  2. BurnA

BurnA Senior Member

I know, i'm just curious thats all! And i think it will be 2018, AFAIK last patient gets final dose this month, so 2 year follow up followed by 6-12 months for write up and publishing.

3. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards "Gibberish"

Almost anything is possible. I cannot really say more!

Sasha likes this.
  4. BurnA

BurnA Senior Member

@Jonathan Edwards I read in your 2014 iime conference address that you believed then that the current state of ME research was similar to RA in the 1970s. Do you think it will take 20-30 years for ME to catch up to where RA is today ?

5. BurnA

BurnA Senior Member

I am going to chance another question although I appreciate how limited any response may be.

The focus to date for the UCL team has been on establishing a biomarker.And I know others are working on this too. In the absence of this work bearing immediate fruit, at some point would it make sense to perform a UK rtx trial regardless?

If a trial were to be successful could it mean people in the UK get access to rtx sooner in which case, biomarker or not some patients might benefit ?

On a similar topic, if a biomarker isn't established by the time the phase 3 results are out, would you imagine the situation where patients just have to take a chance ? ( assuming successful results )
    I assume this approach happens with other drugs ?

MEMum likes this.
  6. barbc56

barbc56 Senior Member

I'm not sure what you're saying. It's probably me as I've been misreading things all morning. Sometimes I'm not sure what I'm saying! :bang-head:

7. BurnA

BurnA Senior Member

I mean they won't know if they are suitable for rtx or not so they would have to decide or take a chance that they might respond.

barbc56 likes this.
  8. barbc56

barbc56 Senior Member

@BurnA

Do you have to have a biomarker to prove a medication works? I don't have a clue!

Thanks

Barb

9. MeSci

MeSci ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?

Cornwall, UK
    Rituximab is an expensive and potentially-dangerous drug. Knowing whether you are more or less likely to respond could help you decide whether the risk and expense are worth it. Cost-benefit analysis.

barbc56 and MEMum like this.

See more popular forum discussions.