• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Interesting Article..

Kyla

ᴀɴɴɪᴇ ɢꜱᴀᴍᴩᴇʟ
This is not about ME or CFS, but has some really interesting parallels as to what happens when research findings conflict with established ways of thinking and "moral" attitudes.

http://www.slate.com/articles/healt...e_that_losing_weight_makes_you_healthier.html

Quote:
"It’s hard to think of any other disease...where treatment rarely works and most people are blamed for not “recovering.”

I can think of one ;)

If you aren't able to read this long an article, the summary is basically that when researchers find that dieting is ineffective or unhealthy or that overweight people live longer these results are ignored or dismissed out of hand. Also goes into the shaming and blame around this.

alex3619

I just posted this on a private FB page, with a link to the article:

Societal views and assessing evidence on obesity and fat

Don't pay much attention to the biology except as an exemplar, I am unsure how much is accurate. The question is how do current views alter how evidence is received.

We have a similar issue with ME. The societal view is that you have to work through fatigue, only a good work ethic counts, and if you are not seen to have anything wrong with you then you don't.

So is this having an impact on why the science behind ME is being ignored?