• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Interested in moving near WPI

H

Hopeful954

Hi all! My name is Hope and I'm compiling a list of people interested in starting a supportive community near WPI, after it opens. I know so many of us are isolated and misunderstood in our communities. Since now is the time where we are all rallying together, I thought some of us may want to think about moving to a place where there would be power in numbers! At some point, I'll be contacting WPI to see about housing arrangements. For now, I'm just have a running list. You can email me at: Hopeinsofl@aol.com if you are interested. Please pass the word. This is the time for HOPE:))

K

_Kim_

Hi Hope,

Welcome to the forums. I saw your discussion thread on the WPI facebook page about forming an "intentional" CFS community in Reno. I think it's a fabulous idea and applaud you for taking the initiative to reach out to the other CFS online communities. I'm currently nestled safely and soundly in NJ, so I'll say no to Reno at the moment. Best of luck getting this rolling.

Cheers,
Kim

oerganix

Living or staying near WPI

Hi Hope. I am already on your list as an interested person. I am not so much interested in living there permanently as in being able to stay in Reno for as long as it might take to get tested, treated and maybe participate in studies. All of this, of course, being dependent on whether XMRV turns out to be as significant as we hope it will.

I left the US for a warmer, cheaper place to live on my miniscule disablilty check and because American medicine had nothing to offer me. If this new development turns out to be worth it, I will want to return to the US for testing, treatment and if anyone wants it, to give my "bodily fluids" to research.

So, some kind of hostal or inn where sufferers could stay with the understanding of our needs for quiet, rest, etc., would be more to my liking than a permanent intentional community. Not that such a community wouldn't be a good idea, too. I'm just not going to want to live in northern Nevada in fall and winter. Cold and the short days of winter affect me negatively.

I have even fantasized a similar kind of "medical tourism" here in tropical Nicaragua, if a test and treatment are eventually made widely available. People already come here to get dentistry and some other kinds of medical treatment done much more cheaply, while vacationing here. Perhaps you can offer a gambling/wellness package in Reno! :D