• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Imbalanced Oxidative Stress Causes Chlamydial Persistence during Non-Productive HHV Co-Infection

Dolphin

Given that the three items in the heading have been mentioned in association with ME/CFS at various times, I thought I'd give this a plug in case it might be of use/interest.

Free full text: http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0047427

Imbalanced Oxidative Stress Causes Chlamydial Persistence during Non-Productive Human Herpes Virus Co-Infection

Bhupesh K. Prusty1, Linda Böhme1, Birgit Bergmann1, Christine Siegl1, Eva Krause2, Adrian Mehlitz1, Thomas Rudel1*

1 Biocenter, Chair of Microbiology, University of Würzburg, Würzburg, Germany, 2 Heinrich Pette Institute, Leibniz Institute for Experimental Virology, Hamburg, Germany

Abstract*

Both human herpes viruses and Chlamydia are highly prevalent in the human population and are detected together in different human disorders.

Here, we demonstrate that co-infection with human herpes virus 6 (HHV6) interferes with the developmental cycle of C. trachomatis and induces persistence.

Induction of chlamydial persistence by HHV6 is independent of productive virus infection, but requires the interaction and uptake of the virus by the host cell.

On the other hand, viral uptake is strongly promoted under co-infection conditions.

Host cell glutathione reductase activity was suppressed by HHV6 causing NADPH accumulation, decreased formation of reduced glutathione and increased oxidative stress.

Prevention of oxidative stress restored infectivity of Chlamydia after HHV6-induced persistence.

We show that co-infection with Herpes simplex virus 1 or human Cytomegalovirus also induces chlamydial persistence by a similar mechanism suggesting that Chlamydia -human herpes virus co-infections are evolutionary shaped interactions with a thus far unrecognized broad significance.

* I gave each sentence its own paragraph

alex3619

This is very interesting Dolphin. It might have extensive implications.

"We are just beginning to understand how the co-evolution of one of the most prevalent human pathogenic bacteria and viruses has affected their survival and replication strategies, but also their infective properties while occupying similar niches inside the cell. The Chlamydia - HHV6 interaction may thus provide a paradigm for a so far unrecognized close interaction of obligate intracellular bacteria and viruses."

This ties in with both methylation and oxidative and nitrosative stress models of ME, and also shows that, at least potentially, a wide range of pathogen interactions might be able to induce pathogen persistance.

I have yet to read this paper in detail. Its not light reading but it is very interesting.

One other implication is that clearance of some of these pathogens, or restoration of antioxidant capacity, might induce improvements with other pathogens.

Bye, Alex

Timaca

GOOD FIND!! I have antibody titers as high as the lab measures to HSV1 IgG. I've had a positive IgM. And I've had antibody titers as high as the lab measures to Cpn IgG and IgA. I will certainly show this to my doctors!

Best, Timaca