• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Ian Lipkin and Mady Hornig respond to the Chilli ME Challenge on July 1st

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I know we are getting some weird kick out of this. I finally ticked "donate" off my to do list, and here is the Spice-o-meter now! :jaw-drop:
spice-o-meter-280x365-t5.gif

Forbin

I must admit that I was conflicted about donating as I recalled a scene in which an entire ice cream cone melts before it can even reach Homer's chili pepper-inflamed tongue.

But then I realized that I was forgetting something very important... It's not going to be my tongue. :)

Donated.

115.jpg

geraldt52

Finally donated. Procrastinated, then had ISP problems and missed the deadline. No matter, wasn't like they only had to eat a red bell pepper!

I had my reservations about people doing the challenge when I first read of it, and was glad to see that Dr. Lipkin was cognizant of "eyes" and "peppers" not being good near each other.

I worked with a guy many years ago who ate a habanero on a dare, and ended up in the hospital for a couple of days, and wearing an eye patch for like 6 weeks. He never did figure out whether juice had sprayed out of the pepper when he bit it, or he had accidentally rubbed near his eye, or what...within a minute he was in agony, and rushed to the hospital. Anyone thinking of trying it, I'd recommend safety goggles myself.

Valentijn

ME patients with gut sensitivity shouldn't try the chilli challenge either, IMO.
Actually, I think it could provoke gut sensitivities, so I think it's best for ME patients to avoid.
Do bell peppers cause problems for anyone? They certainly don't have any heat.

Bob

Do bell peppers cause problems for anyone? They certainly don't have any heat.
I've just been reading wiki, and it says that bell peppers don't produce any capsaicin, and therefore don't have any heat. So I think they should be considered to be like any other vegetables rather than a chilli pepper, even if in the same family. I'm pretty sure they'd only be a problem for people who have a specific food intolerance to them.

Last edited: