• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

IACFS/ME Biennial Conference Agenda Is Up!

waiting

The IACFS/ME (International Association for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/ME) is holding their 10th International Clinical & Research Conference this September 22nd to 25th, 2011 in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. It is being hosted by the National ME/FM Action Network.

I was wondering if anyone here on Phoenix Rising is planning to attend?

The Patient Agenda is here:
http://iacfsme.org/Conferences/2011AgendaPatient/tabid/466/Default.aspx

The Professional Agenda is here:
http://iacfsme.org/Conferences/2011AgendaProfessional/tabid/461/Default.aspx

Both agendas look excellent, in my opinion -- the speakers are a who's who in our world -- even Annette Whittemore will speak (see Patient Agenda). If I was well enough, I'd go to every last session (okay, the first day's patient agenda runs concurrent with the professional one, so that would be impossible, but still...). As it is, I don't know how I'll make it through even the one day.

The Professional Agenda begins with Dennis Mangan "How to Apply for Grants" and on the 23rd, Dr. Montoya, Dr. Mikovits and Dr. Coffin all speak on viruses (Judy on "The case FOR HGRV in CFS/ME; Coffin on "The case AGAINST HGRV in CFS/ME).

The wonderful Pacific Fatigue Lab is well represented there on both agendas and of course Staci Stevens (Founding Executive Director of PFL) is also VP for the IACFS/ME.

Unless I'm reading this incorrectly, does the 24th agenda item at 3pm, which is called "CFS Knowledge and Illness Management Behavior Among (italics mine) U.S. Healthcare Providers and The Public", actually refer to the behavior of many doctors and members of the public instead of the usual reference to ME/CFS sufferers?!

Congratulations and immense gratitude to the IACFS/ME for putting together such a useful -- and hopefully fruitful -- conference. :thumbsup::balloons:

(Apologies if this has already been posted, or if it's in the wrong place -- I did a search & couldn't see it that it had...)

Enid

Wouldn't be able to attend waiting but an old friend (founder of Norway ME) is going - she must think worthwhile to risk travelling that far.

waiting

Thanks, Enid. It's a shame you can't attend, but wow, for your friend, Norway is a long trip to Canada indeed. I agree that it's an important conference.

Im going to try to go...it sounds like a wonderful conference. Im hoping to see any interest in PFL Coming to Canada for their fatigue testing procedures.
GaryK

eric_s

On the 23rd we will hear about Kenny De Meirleir's results. I think that will be interesting.

I like the honesty in the titles of Judy Mikovits' and John Coffin's presentations. If it's done in a fair and open way i don't mind that kind of debate at all.

What i would hope was that there would be a bit more focus on trying to find the actual root cause of ME/CFS, because in the end that's what we really need, i guess.

eric_s

I just say this on the 23rd
Health/Performance and Response Status of XMRV/pMRV Antibody Positive vs. Negative Chronic Fatigue

Syndrome (CFS) Subjects in a Phase III Clinical Trial

David R. Strayer, M.D.
I guess this is about Ampligen, but i don't know. Sounds interesting as well. It might be something we've already heard about.