• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

IACFS/ME 2014 conference - call for abstracts

Nielk

Call for Papers
11th International IACFS/ME Research and Clinical Conference:
Translating Science into Clinical Care

Supported by Stanford University
March 20-23, 2014
Parc 55 Wyndham Hotel, San Francisco, California USA

Featuring Keynoter and bestselling author: Abraham Verghese, MD
Abstracts Welcome
Submit Your Abstract by September 15, 2013. Read the full Call for Abstracts here.

The International Association for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (IACFS/ME) -- comprising researchers, clinicians and educators -– invites your abstract for possible presentation at the 2014 Annual Meeting in one of America's most exciting cities – San Francisco! All topics in the field of fatigue are welcomed.
Paper and poster sessions allow students at all levels as well as researchers, practitioners, and policy advocates to freely exchange ideas and build networks. Abstracts will be accepted through Tuesday, September 15, 2013, at 11:59 pm Eastern Daylight Time.
Integrative conference themes will focus on fatigue, pain, post-exertional malaise, sleep, pediatrics, cognition, and brain function in CFS/ME, Fibromyalgia and all fatiguing illness. We encourage submissions on fatigue in diseases including cancer, autoimmune diseases, multiple sclerosis (MS), pain conditions, mood disorders, and circulatory diseases. In addition, studies on fatigue in sleep, aging, exercise and sport, and occupations are welcomed.
Conference sessions will address advances in assessment and treatment (from biological to behavioral) as well as new developments in virology, immunology, and neuroendocrinology. We also anticipate new topics such as mentoring/career development, clinical fatigue education in medical schools and public health policy with respect to fatigue.
Attendees to IACFS/ME conferences are primarily biomedical and behavioral professionals, including clinicians, researchers, and educators. It is anticipated that this event will be accredited for continuing medical education for Category 1 CME (physicians), CNE for nurses, and CPE for pharmacists.The conference is Accredited for Continuing Education by the Foundation for Care Management (FCM).
Abraham Verghese, MD to Deliver Keynote
Physician-author Abraham Verghese is Professor for the Theory and Practice of Medicine at Stanford University Medical School and Senior Associate Chair of the Department of Internal Medicine. Few people combine a career as physician, professor and author as well as Abraham Verghese, who has been on the New York Times bestseller list with all three of his books, including his most recent, Cutting for Stone. In 2011, he was elected to be a member of the Institute of Medicine.

Emphasis on the Physician-Patient Relationship
As founding director of the Center for Medical Humanities & Ethics at the University of Texas Health Science Center San Antonio, he brought the deep-seated empathy for patient suffering that had been honed by his previous experiences to his new role in the medical humanities. Today, in his writing and his work, he continues to emphasize the importance of bedside medicine and physical examination in a time in medicine when the use of advanced technology frequently results in the patient in the bed having less attention than the patient data in the computer. His December 2008 article in the New England Journal of Medicine, Culture Shock: Patient as Icon, Icon as Patient, clearly lays out his viewpoint.

For submission instructions, click here.

"All topics in the field of fatigue are welcomed."

More irrelevent BS then, because I guess the perception of "M.E" isn't distorted enough by being de-explained and de-specified by "fatigue". Maybe there'll be some exciting news about the IACFS' plan to have us all managed by miracle-working physiotherapists and info on how bedbound sufferers can benefit from CBT/GET/GA/rehab/training!

Is it too much for them to stick to something relevent to "ME" and at most, closely related diseases since they bothered to append it to their name?