• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

I have got the diagnosis CFS, but..

wastwater

If you follow that ME is the side effect of something like IL-2 then depression confusion and borderline psychosis don’t surprise me
I’m glad the tablets worked for you but it could still of been the immune system that caused it
My illness started in a similar way but is only partially responsive to anti depressants

Rlman

Feels so good to hear you recovered and there is hope for recovery at least for some patients.

I once read in an article that one thing that possibly distinguishes CFS patients from patients with depression is that if you ask them the question "If I gave you a miracle cure and you'd get totally healthy tomorrow, what would you do?", then the CFS patients immediately come out with a lot of plans for restarting their job, leisure activity etc., while the depression patients don't really know what they would do and aren't even really enthusiastic about getting healthy again.

Is that something you can confirm for your case?

Interesting as i personally don't have any specific goals other than getting healthy again. but i find it hard to believe that the severe fatigue i have experienced the past 7 years is caused by depression. i basically don't have energy to stand (other than max 10 seconds but even that dangerous), i feel i don't have enough energy to walk more than a few steps. if i go past energy limit i crash and end up having to lie in fetal position till i recharge energy which can take a few days. my arms are so weak, can't really carry things. i am also freezing cold (i sleep with tons of sweaters and duvets). so basically 7 years i am homebound, relying on my parents for everything like food and cleaning. though i do like going out, i sit outside on porch and try to go to cafes and sit there the past year every few weeks (mainly to look at other people my age and have a bit of social life). can depression cause such weakness?

the interesting thing is that i don't have much dreams for future, just to be healthy and enjoy life. don't know what job to do, don't feel too much meaning in things, feel bored. don't really miss my pre-illness life actually, i like sitting outside and reading about sports/social media/learning things on the internet, all things which i can do now (though some of the internet stuff i sort of find meaningless but i enjoy it to some extent-other stuff i think is meaningful and educational). but want to get better as losing muscle now from deconditioning and would like intimacy and some social interaction (though really i am an introvert so not a fan of much). when i wake up in morning i am excited to do things (like eat), i don't want to lie in bed all day, i find that boring. Some of these feelings (like boredom, lack of meaning) began before the illness started. i thought that once i get healthy then i can go to a life coach or psychologist for help with that. due to weakness and brain fog i haven't really thought there is a point of seeing a life coach atm.

i sleep well i think (6-8 hours usually). i also had brain injury from probably some infection at beginning of the chronic illness and since then i have constant pulsing in head and feel whole body pulsing sensation. i also have eye issues since the brain injury (unable hold gaze more than a second, dimmer vision, unable see far or small print). also light and noise sensitivities ( i need total darkness and quiet when resting in order to fully relax so blind closed and ear plugs often). the cold body is so crazy, almost unheard of anyone needing so many layers. but body temp is 35.8 with all those sweaters at night so i think its physical as a normal person would be boiling in so many layers right? so can depression cause a person to be so weak? so far medical tests have not shown any abnormalities including head and body MRIs and blood tests. i have lowish BP.

i feel more relaxed than first years of illness when was so scared as not know what illness i am dealing with and if i in immediate danger, was constantly researching health. past few years i take more time to relax, less research. still often feel stressed when 'have to do' something, but i thought that's due to the severe weakness i am dealing with. i also have frequent urination, dryish mouth, thirst, neck sensitive to cold(though better than first year of illness). interestingly first year of illness i had much more energy in legs, but above waist like arms so weak. also head symptoms were worse, they got better after first 2 years. but legs lost energy after 1st year. @mirijam what do you think? and does anyone else with CFS have lack of dreams/goals to accomplish like me?

Last edited:
@mirijam, if you find things get bad again, come back here and tell us. There is just a little part of me that is unsettled by the "depression and psychosis" diagnosis. I think its mainly the psychosis part that worries me. You want to be sure they're diagnosing you correctly (that is, not based on you physical symptoms but on proper diagnostic. criteria), because the medications they give for that are nasty.

There are some other members from Austria here, and they say there's not much recognition of MECFS there. Many patients end up with a psychiatric diagnosis, and some have been given very strong antipsychotics, when they really had no signs of psychosis.

If all goes well, then disregard this post. But if things get bad again, you might need a second opinion.

This illness does have high periods and low periods, so it could be that you just happen to be going through a high period now (I hope not!).

My English is too bad to answer you in the way I would like to :/ but it´s right now one and a half year ago since the diagnosis of depression and psychosis. I feel better and better with time.
If I stop using the medication, I get all of the symptoms again.. if I take it again, everything is fine. So I am sure, the diagnosis is in my case the right one