• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Hypoxic ishemic encephalopathy

Eeyore

Calcium levels in the body are tightly regulated. They shouldn't move up or down much over a wide variety of vitamin D. The vitamin D3 you buy in the drugstore (or make in response to sunlight) is not active at the VDR (vitamin D receptor). Levels of the active form (calcitriol, available for supplementation only by prescription, as too much is very dangerous, aka 1,25 dihydroxy vitamin D) are often a thousand fold lower than the inactive form.

Activation of Vitamin D is accomplished in a stepwise fashion in the liver and kidneys, and the rate of this conversion is controlled so as to prevent hypocalcemia or hypercalcemia.

How much D you take isn't really going to significantly affect calcium influx through glutamate channels (NMDA and AMPA are different types of glutamate channels - NMDA has a much greater permeability to Ca++ than AMPA, which is more selective for monovalent cations such as Na+ and K+).

I don't think this has anything to do with the role of Vitamin D, and whether or not higher or lower levels may or may not be protective in ME.

I do think there is a good body of evidence suggesting a role for overactivation of glutamate channels. A number of mechanisms may be involved in this.