• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Hypomagnesemia, hypocalcemia and hypokalemia - Help please.

2 month's into Freddd's active protocol and I've somehow managed to deplete myself of magnesium, calcium and potassium. I was supplementing all 3 anyway and I was fully expecting my potassium need to shoot up. I wasn't expecting my magnesium and calcium to tank the way they did though! I am now on a hiatus from the protocol while I sort out my electrolyte imbalance. Is there anything that I failed to do or notice that would have contributed to this? Just how much magnesium and calcium is it usual to need in such cases? I was taking about 400mg calcium carbonate and about 400mg magnesium malate. Potassium, I was taking on an as needed basis and sometimes up to 3g a day. I am now switching to calcium citrate and taking 800mg a day until I reach a steady state and I've upped the magnesium as well, though I struggle to tolerate more than 600mg a day. Potassium need has slowed down with the lowered active B intake. I was also taking 5000IU Vit D3 and Vit K all along.

I don't remember offhand but it was within normal range. I'm a big salt eater so I'm not surprised to be honest. Of the three hypos potassium was also the one I was most aware of so I was taking a lot of low salt. That has a lot of sodium along the potassium so it undoubtedly helped as well.

caledonia

Are you taking them in one dose or several doses throughout the day? Your body can only absorb so much at one time, so it's better to divide into into several doses.

I take mine 4 times a day.

Also it may be better to take them separately, as you may have different needs for each one. So in other words, do something like Now brand potassium gluconate and sea salt, instead of having them combined in low salt.

Everyone is likely going to be a little different.

At one point I was taking 3000mg or so of potassium, 2000 or so of magnesium, and 4 pinches of salt. All of those being powders and dissolved into a glass of water.

I tried calcium, but had to quit after about a month when I stopped tolerating it.

Now several years later, I do 50mg potassium, 2000mg magnesium and 4 pinches of sea salt.

That is the elemental form of the mineral. If I was counting how many mgs of magnesium in total it would be a lot higher.

I am taking divided doses. I'm feeling a lot better now that I've upped the dosages of everything. I had a migraine for the first 24hours but that seems to have abated now. I will restart the methylation supps when I'm feeling a bit more stable and this time I'll take it slower. :) This methylation stuff ( and everything else) is a huge learning curve! Thanks for all the help.