• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Hundreds sue NHS over 'barbaric' vaginal mesh implants

AndyPR

Thought the issues in this article have a number of parallels with our ME situation, they were given a treatment that was meant to be safe, weren't warned of any dangers etc. And interesting that they are attempting legal action, with payouts already made in the States.
More than 800 UK women are taking legal action against the NHS and the makers of vaginal mesh implants, the Victoria Derbyshire programme has learned.

The implants are used to treat pelvic organ prolapse and incontinence after childbirth, but some can cut into the vagina - causing severe discomfort.

Some women have been left in permanent pain, unable to walk, work or have sex. One called the implants "barbaric".

The UK regulatory body MHRA said it "sympathises" with the women affected.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-39567240

mermaid

I feel that I have had a lucky escape. I had an operation of this sort in 2002, but I don't think they used the mesh or if they did they a) didn't tell me and b) it hasn't caused any issues. I seem to remember that there were 2 ways of doing my op and the one I had probably meant that I didn't have the mesh. I read about these issues some 5 years ago and was appalled then at how damaged these women were. I just read an article about the use of mesh and it was used it seems to help prevent relapse. I do have relapse of my issues, it's true, but I would rather live with them than ever go down this route again.

I was lucky in that I never was offered GET, or CBT for that matter, and my symptoms anyway are not as serious as some people's so I am able to do some exercise, and just pace myself at different time depending on how I am.

There are so many medical procedures with side effects that are not fully understood or explained. For example, I have just been diagnosed with osteoporosis, and decided not to go down the road of using bisphosphonates, based on what I have read about them online and the damage that they can do. I was not offered any information on them though and had to seek it out. My friend, however, who had read nothing, has gone ahead and didn't know why I was so concerned. The possible damage does not always happen immediately though, it can happen years later.

So often though people are between a rock and a hard place. There is no easy answer, but at the very least the dangers should be spelt out to people honestly and clearly. I have had a lot of eye surgery and I always read the % risk factors but with the eyes, if I lost my sight anyway without the treatment, then it's a no brainer really. The same is not true of all conditions though, including ME/CFS.

veganmua

Wow. I had a ventral mesh rectopexy for rectal prolapse in 2015. While luckily I haven't had any pain like the article describes, the problem returned after a few months. I was looking to have a revision surgery, but I will look into alternatives more closely.