• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How to mold test before moving in?

I am looking for a new apartment. How can I test the levels of mold in it before I sign the lease? What is the best/most accurate test to use that won't break the bank? (As I may have to test 2-3 different ones).

grapes

There are websites with labs which do this, but they do break the bank. They send a cloth for you to rub different places in the house, and they then test the dust on the cloth. But learn from me...I rubbed the cloth on tops of old paintings in one room and the results showed miserably high mold in that room. No, it was because I rubbed the tops of old paintings that had previously been in moldy houses before this one. When I did a mold air test of the same room, it was great. So perhaps a mold air test??? It was $75 for the inside, then they did it outside to compare--another $75.