• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How to inject 4ME yourself?

andre79

I have just finished three cycles of flagyl and I am about to start a one month trial with 4ME. Since it says it subcutaneous I got insulin syringes of 1 ml and the vial brings 2 ml. According to the pharmacist those are the only sub cutaneous there are. My questions for people that take 4ME are:

Do you inject yourself?
Should I start with 1 ml first and then increase to 2 ml daily?
Is there an specific part of the body to inject?
What effect should I expect? (secundary effects)

Any information on 4ME would be greatly appreciated, thanks...

Hip

According to the pharmacist those are the only sub cutaneous there are. My questions for people that take 4ME are:

There is no limit to the size of a syringe you can use. When I did a 4 month course of Nexavir (the 4ME version) some years ago, I bought these 2.5 ml syringes, and these very thin 30 gauge (0.3mm) needles.

A good place to inject is in the belly area, a couple of inches either left or right of the belly button. This document shows you how to do a subcutaneous injection.

Best to inject slowly, taking around 1 or 2 minutes to inject the 2 ml of liquid, otherwise if you go too fast, it can cause some mild pain at the injection site. It is the preservative in the Nexavir that causes the local pain, but 4ME has lower levels of preservative, and if you inject slowly, there is no pain.

Normally Dr De Meirleir gives vitamin B12 injections with Nexavir / 4ME, as they are supposed to be synergistic, although 5,000 mcg sublingual B12 hydroxocobalamin or methylcobalamin tablets are also fine.

You can buy B12 hydroxocobalamin injections quite cheaply here, without prescription:
http://goldpharma.com/search/vitamin B12/

andre79

Thank you Hip,

How did you do on nexavir? Any progress?

Dr. De Meirleir ordered B12 injections too, three times a week, but those are intramuscular and I am finding someone to inject me. I bought the vials already.

Actually, I am a little apprehensive about starting the 4ME treatment now that I am finally making progress and feeling much better. I don't want to relapse. But I decided to trust the doctor, so I guess I will do it.

Hip

How did you do on nexavir? Any progress?

I did 4 months on Nexavir / 4ME (daily injections for the first two weeks, then one injection every 2 days thereafter).

It's hard to say if this helped or not, because just 3 months before I started the Nexavir / 4ME, I experienced some substantial improvements in my overall ME/CFS symptoms, which were I believe due starting a high dose selenium antiviral protocol at that time.

So when I began Nexavir / 4ME, I had recently transitioned to a much improved state due to the selenium, and I was generally on the up as a result of my continued use of selenium.

So Nexavir / 4ME might have helped, but it could have been just the selenium I was taking.

But in any case, I am not a good person to test Nexavir / 4ME on, because my viral lab results indicate my ME/CFS may be due to enterovirus rather than herpes family viruses (although I did have HSV-1 and cytomegalovirus reactivations), and Nexavir / 4ME only works for herpes family viruses, not enteroviruses.

Last edited:

snowathlete

I have just finished three cycles of flagyl and I am about to start a one month trial with 4ME. Since it says it subcutaneous I got insulin syringes of 1 ml and the vial brings 2 ml. According to the pharmacist those are the only sub cutaneous there are. My questions for people that take 4ME are:

Do you inject yourself?
Should I start with 1 ml first and then increase to 2 ml daily?
Is there an specific part of the body to inject?
What effect should I expect? (secundary effects)

Any information on 4ME would be greatly appreciated, thanks...

Dont know where you are but I'm in the UK and had this issue myself, that the pharmacist only had 1mg insulin syringes which were no good. I found a place online that sells much better ones of the right size which I could look up for you if you want. I injected 4ME in my stomach every day for 10 months. You want to avoid the line up and down from your belly button. You want under the skin, not in the flesh itself. It itched a little sometimes that was the only reaction I got.

andre79

Dont know where you are but I'm in the UK and had this issue myself, that the pharmacist only had 1mg insulin syringes which were no good. I found a place online that sells much better ones of the right size which I could look up for you if you want. I injected 4ME in my stomach every day for 10 months. You want to avoid the line up and down from your belly button. You want under the skin, not in the flesh itself. It itched a little sometimes that was the only reaction I got.

If you can tell me where to find them I would be very thankful. I happen to have a close relative in the UK and I am meeting her next month. So she could bring me the syringes.

If you don't mind sharing, how was your experience with 4ME? Did you perceive any improvement?

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
If you can tell me where to find them I would be very thankful.
I get BD brand luer lok 3 ml syringes. This type of syringe is sold separately from the needles--so you can choose the needle you want and "lock" it in. Where I am I can buy them from my local pharmacy without a prescription.

andre79

Thanks Sushi, so I could use the needles from the insulin syringes that I alredy bought and use them with the 3 ml syringes? I apologize but I really have not idea about this stuff.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Thanks Sushi, so I could use the needles from the insulin syringes that I alredy bought and use them with the 3 ml syringes? I apologize but I really have not idea about this stuff.
No, you have to use BD needles that come without a syringe and work with the luer-lok system. BD products are available all over the world--you would just have to find out what local regulations are for buying them.