• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How long does it take to know if acyclovir is working?

vamah

I have been taking acyclovir for about 6 weeks. Had severe Herx 1st week-10days. Feeling better physically than I did then, but still worse than before I started taking, especially headaches and depression. Don't know if a herx can go on this long or if this is just CFS symptoms getting worse rather than better and the drug is not working.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
cfs is so up and down anyway so it takes time to notice if its helping, possibly 3-6 months. AFter 3-6 months on av's i noticed i didnt crash as much and when i did crash it wasnt as hard or for as long as i would have prior to av's. Also depends on what viruses you have too.

Depending on what viruses you have and what dosage you are taking it may take several weeks. I have been taking acyclovir for 18 months now. I have gradually increased my dosage to 1600mg twice a day but I take it for 4 days then stop for 3 days. Early on I had experiment with the dosage and timings and sometimes I had to stop completely when it got bad. But my advise is not to "push it". If you feel very bad stop the medication. Give your body time to flush out the toxins.