• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

how do you know when to start increasing activity after severe crash

taniaaust1

for those of you who are or have been bedbound, what can you pass the day with that doesnt crash you? i have been trying to do as little mentally as possible. saving energies for talking with dh and kids or reading here or on FB but i am really stating to go crazy with boredom. not sure if i could watch a shrrt tv show or read parts of a book maybe.

My top 9 things in bed are

1/ Normally at the times when I need to be in bed due to a ME crash Im also so tired that I sleep so that really kills the time. I can be sleeping all the time at times.

2/ When Im needing to stay in bed due to severe POTs.. I kill the time with watching a movie or series on DVD. I stick with a 30min series episode my brain isnt up to full movie (which is quite often). An easy to understand 30min sometimes childrens episode of something.

3/ I got a DVD course which had 30 min lectures and used to do one of those and the homework exercises which came with it every day (that killed 1hr), I'd do it in broken down bits during the day eg doing at times 10 mins of the lecture at a time.

4/ I also do lucid dreaming (thou I do find that's harder when Im in a crashed state and I dont do that when my brain is too bad as it takes too much focus instead of brain rest).

5/ I bird watch (if Im not to the point where Im finding light hard on my head and eyes).

6/ listen to some gentle music or nature sounds on CD

7/ I play with cat(s) in bed. I foster cats for a cat rescue org and then use them to keep my entertained. I like to watch them play fighting and chasing each other.

8/ I have a lap top now, so I started doing my family tree on it when Im stuck in bed. A friend copied some family tree program.

9/ Reading. If a Novel is too hard, consider if you could handle reading poetry.

In my case I cant do knitting, colouring books in bed due to my ME hands, its too much on my hands, they exhaust to fast and start to shake or go into pain.

Last edited: