• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How consecutive SNPs result in proteins

Valentijn

First the DNA (A,C,G,T) is transcribed into RNA (A,C,G,U). Then the RNA is translated into amino acids (cysteine, glutamate, glycine, tryptophan, serine, etc). And these amino acids then become proteins.

While the RNA is being translated, it's partitioned into sets of 3 consecutive SNPs, such as "AGG", which are called codons. Each codon results in a specific amino acid being created. "AGG", for example, would result in Arginine. Multiple codons can create the same amino acid. In addition to arginine being created from AGG, it can also be created from AGA, CGU, CGC, CGA, and CGG.

Here's a very nice diagram from https://openclipart.org/people/J_Alves/genetic_code_RNA.svg illustrating which amino acids are created from which codons:
codons.gif

Anyhow, there's some more complicated aspects, but I thought this was interesting and wanted to have it somewhere that I can find it again :p