• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How can you maximize your support for a cure? #OMF

Ben H

OMF Volunteer Correspondent
Hi guys,

OMF%20End%20MECFS%20logo%20.jpg

As 2017 comes to a close, we want to say thank you for your past support and commitment to OMF's research to cure ME/CFS and related chronic complex diseases. OMF relies solely on donations from people just like you...ordinary people sharing a common vision and goal.

Amelie%20Candi%20and%20Mary.JPG

Amelie Hicks, her mother Candi Pastorek, and sister Mary Gelpi, (left to right in the photo) all suffer from ME/CFS. This disease has changed these women's lives and the lives of those who love them. Candi, a healthy mother of four and an ER nurse, became sick suddenly and was unable to recover. She was eventually diagnosed with ME/CFS in the late 80's. Then Mary, the youngest of the four, a competitive gymnast, became sick at age 9. She is 33 now, still sick, and mostly homebound.

Amelie was the warrior and stayed healthy until just a few short years ago when, after the birth of her second child, she became ill with ME/CFS.

You might not know from this photo taken at an End ME/CFS Worldwide Tour and screening of Unrest event that these women are sick, but they call this disease invisible for many reasons. Each of them paid a price physically to make it to this event, and they would suffer the consequences behind closed doors, as most patients do. But they believe that some things are worth paying for, and just like millions of others, the potential for a treatment and a cure outweighs the suffering.

As for Amelie, she has had to stop working in a thriving career that she loved, and there are many days where she is too weak and sick to get out of bed. Even simple tasks like cleaning, doing a load of laundry or playing with her two little kids can often be too much for her to physically handle. Due to frequent migraine headaches and brain fog, she's also limited in what she can do mentally. Amelie has always been loved and admired for her bright spirit, sense of humor and positive attitude - to see this disease come very close at times to zapping her spark has been utterly heartbreaking for her family and friends. Amelie has stepped up to become an OMF Ambassador helping to raise awareness and fundraise for research.

It is for patients and families like Amelie's that we ask you to look at creative ways that would allow you to increase your support of research. You can make a significant impact on research to find a cure for millions of patients like Amelie and her family. As we come to a close on 2017, please think of the patients you know and those you don't know, and support OMF's research so Amelie and all patients can play with their children and enjoy their lives.

Give a Gift of Stocks or Bonds

stock-graph.jpg

The Stock Market is at record levels. Donating your appreciated securities, including stocks and bonds, is an easy and tax effective way for you to make a gift to Benefits of gifting stocks or bonds include:
  • Avoid paying capital gains tax on the sale of appreciated stock.
  • Receive a charitable income tax deduction.
  • Support ME/CFS and other related chronic, complex disease research.
  • For instructions on how you can transfer stocks or bonds from your brokerage or investment account to OMF, click here.
IRA Charitable Rollover Gifts
senior%20financial.jpg

US Taxpayers age 70½ and older are required to make annual distributions from their IRAs which are then included in the taxpayers' adjusted gross income (AGI) and subject to income taxes. The IRA Charitable Rollover allows taxpayers to make a charitable donation up to $100,000 per year directly to a charitable organization from their IRA without counting it as a part of your income, consequently saving you taxes.
Benefits of donating from your IRA include:
  • Make an IRA distribution without it increasing your income tax liability.
  • Receiving a charitable income tax donation.
  • Support ME/CFS and related chronic, complex disease research.
  • To qualify, your charitable rollover withdrawal must be made payable to Open Medicine Foundation and mailed directly to us from your IRA holder.
TRUSTS, WILLS & ESTATES
Estate-planning.jpg

At this time of year, many people review their personal estate documents. Your estate plans allow you to create a lasting legacy for those interests that are most important to you. We encourage you to consider adding Open Medicine Foundation to your estate plans as a beneficiary of your trust, will, IRA, or life insurance. You can designate a specific dollar amount, a total or residual percentage, or a piece of property. Your personal tax advisor can help you determine the best way to meet your philanthropic goals to find a cure for ME/CFS and related chronic, complex diseases. OMF can accept donations in many ways. To learn more,click here.

Gifts of Cash

As you determine your end of year charitable donations, please keep OMF at the top of your list and give generously. Your gift offers hope to millions of patients and directly supports our groundbreaking research. And please consider making your gift a recurring donation so that OMF can count on your support year-round.

Giving is easy. Please click on this link now to make your end of year donation by credit card or write a check payable to Open Medicine Foundation and mail your check to OMF 29302 Laro Drive, Agoura Hills, CA 91301 USA. We will send you a receipt electronically or by traditional mail for your tax records.
Bitcoin

Bitcoin_Logo_Horizontal_Dark-4800px.png

OMF accepts donations of Bitcoin. With the soaring values of Bitcoin, we invite Bitcoin collectors to donate Bitcoin directly to OMF. To make your Bitcoin donation, click here.
  • Your tax deduction will be equal to the fair market value of the donated Bitcoin (as determined by a qualified appraisal).
  • Donors should consult with a tax advisor for properly recording this donation on a personal tax return.
OMF can accept Bitcoin donations of any amount. If you are considering a donation with a value over $10,000 please contact us first at donate@omf.ngo or call us at 650-242-8669.

Thank you for your past support and please explore the best way to maximize your legacy and support research to find a cure for Amelie and her family and millions of patients around the world.
I'd be happy to discuss tax saving opportunities with you.* Please feel free to contact me.
Remember, to take advantage of the current tax laws, make your donation by December 31st.
Together with hope,
Marilyn%20SG%20signature.jpg

Marilyn Simon-Gersuk
Director of Communications & Development
www.omf.ngo

*OMF does not provide legal or tax advice. Please consult your personal advisor to review and maximize your benefits.

Thanks for reading,

B