• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

High Doses Of Vitamin C Reduce Epstein-Barr Viral Infection

*GG*

Medical Science Monitor reported a benefit for intravenous vitamin C in patients with high levels of antibodies to the Epstein-Barr virus (EBV), which has been implicated in chronic fatigue syndrome, Burkitt’s lymphoma, Hodgkin’s disease, and some autoimmune conditions.*

“This is, to our knowledge, the first clinical study of ascorbic acid and EBV infection,” announced authors Nina A. Mikirova and Ronald Hunninghake of the Riordan Clinic, in Wichita, Kansas.

The duo evaluated data from 35 men and women diagnosed with chronic fatigue or other conditions who had Epstein-Barr virus antibodies measured before and after treatment with 7.5 to 50 grams of intravenous vitamin C. Thirty-two of the 35 subjects showed improvement following vitamin C treatment. Subjects who had five or more vitamin C infusions had a significantly greater percent decrease in EBV antibodies over time in comparison with infected individuals evaluated by the clinic who did not receive intravenous vitamin C.

Editor’s Note: The researchers recommend further research involving a combination of vitamins C and D and other nutrients in EBV-infected patients.

—D. Dye

Reference
* Med Sci Mon. 2014 May 4.

http://www.lef.org/magazine/2014/10/in-the-news/page-01

Dr Goldstein used to treat CFS with intravenous vitamin C.

My M.E started with EBV. I take high doses of vit C when my bowel problems and allergies get bad. It particularly helps my constipation.