• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

HELP NEEDED PLEASE - B12 - Which one is best with these SNP's

Hi Everyone

I recently got my 23andMe results back. I ran the raw data through genetic genie and got the following results back for both methylation and detox (attached).

I have read the guidance notes and generally around the subject (on heartfixer.com), although I am still confused. The Amy Yasko know your genes guidance seem to suggest that I would do better on Hydroxy and Adeno B12 based on my snps, whereas Heartfixer indicates I would do better with Methyl groups.

Below are my snips;

COMPT V15M: -/-
VDR Taq: +/+

My other variations are
MTHFR A1298C: +/-

MAO-A R297R: +/+
AHCY-01: +/+

MTRR A664 A: +/-
AHCY-19: +/-
CBS C699T: +/-

I have previously been injecting Methyl B12 and could comfortably inject 1ml (1,000 mcg) each day. At 2,000 mcg a day I got slightly jittery and anxious i.e. the sort of anxiety I get from coffee/ green tea. So I dropped back down. Later however I was able to tolerate the 2,000 mcg a day.

I am mainly confused bc I notice there are some PR's here who feel Hydroxy is not as effective as Methyl or Adeno B12. @Freddd has also stated that the anxiousness with B12 start off is actually nervous system repair?

I initially chose the Methyl over the Hydroxy as I know I have gut issues so wanted to also help heal those. I am not injecting at the moment but must remark that for the month I was injecting my symptoms improved exponentially (I stopped to clear my system for some testing). The crushing fatigue I have had for over 1 year has reduced to 'heavy fatigue at times'. I am not 100% but definitely much better. That said I was taking a number of things incl: Magnesium, Multi-vit, Multi-Minerals, B Complex, Methyl Folate, Fish Oil, CoQ10. I have also been resting and pacing heavily and my sleep has improved quite a bit.

Any help/ observations greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance
GoodVibesOnly

Attachments

• PR Detox Profile.pdf
    100.7 KB · Views: 8
  • PR Methylation profile.pdf
    187.8 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Posting all relevant snp's here:

Methylation:

Hetero
MTHFR A1298C: +/-
MTRR A664 A: +/-
AHCY-19: +/-
CBS C699T: +/-

Homo
VDR Taq: +/+
MAO-A R297R: +/+
AHCY-01: +/+

Detox:

Hetero
CYP1A2 164>C: +/-
CYP1B1 R48G: +/-
CYP2C19*17: +/-
CYP2D6 S486T: +/-
CYP2D6 2850C>T: +/-
CYP3A4*1B: +/-
SOD2 A16V: +/-
NAT2 I114T: +/-

Homo
CY2E1*1B 9896C>G: +/+
GSTP1 L105V: +/+
NAT2 K268R: +/+

Also tagging @caledonia after reading some of your very useful advice and interpretations in other threads. Hope you don't mind. Really grateful for any advice you can offer.

Last edited:

caledonia

@GoodVibesOnly Since you're already tolerating 1000-2000mcg of methylcobalamin which is a decent dose, I would stick with it.

Yasko's suggestions are to avoid mood swings associated with COMT mutations. Another option according to Ben Lynch is to add a small amount of niacin (like 30mg) to the methylcobalamin.

You don't seem to be experiencing mood swings, so I would think you're good to continue with what you're doing.

@GoodVibesOnly Since you're already tolerating 1000-2000mcg of methylcobalamin which is a decent dose, I would stick with it.

Yasko's suggestions are to avoid mood swings associated with COMT mutations. Another option according to Ben Lynch is to add a small amount of niacin (like 30mg) to the methylcobalamin.

You don't seem to be experiencing mood swings, so I would think you're good to continue with what you're doing.

@caledonia thanks so much. I now realise that some of Amy Yasko's SNP's are coloured differently to other sites hence my confusion. According to the charts, I can tolerate all sorts of B12. My plan is to start at 1,000 and if I can work unto about 2,000.

I just need to work out what the MAO A ++ (TT) means there seems to be a lot of confusion surrounding that.

Once again many thanks :)