• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

help me figure it out

notmyself

hi, can someone help me understand how can we differentiate the flu like symptoms that come with this illness from an actual viral infection?..is the cough a good indication that is actually a viral respiratory infection, or the runny nose?or both can be present as part of ME/Cfs..thanks

Wonko

It just feels different, but, in general, ME symptoms come with less messy stuff, and there is no pre alert of infection from the back of the mouth/throat/tonsils area, so, all things being equal, runny nose is an indication it is viral, but a cough is not.

Wishful

There are other causes of runny nose: allergies, cold air. My nose runs when I go outside (it's -20C out there). I don't know whether that's an eye dryness issue or a nasal issue, but it's not viral or an allergy.