• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Heat Shock Proteins - Impaired Response to Oxidative Stress

nandixon

@Marco already noted this on a different thread a couple of months ago (http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...ximab-trial-30-july.24499/page-17#post-379266) but I thought I'd place the abstract here for continuity. This is an additional heat shock protein (HSP) study with respect to ME/ CFS that Jammes published in July 2012, using a larger cohort than in his 2009 paper mentioned earlier in this thread. I've not been able to read the full text:

Chronic fatigue syndrome: acute infection and history of physical activity affect resting levels and response to exercise of plasma oxidant/antioxidant status and heat shock proteins.

Authors

Jammes Y, et al. Show all

Journal

J Intern Med. 2012 Jul;272(1):74-84. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2796.2011.02488.x. Epub 2012 Jan 4.

Affiliation

UMR MD2 P2COE, Faculty of Medicine, Aix-Marseille University and Clinical Respiratory Physiology and Exercise Testing Laboratory, Thorax Pole, National Assistance - Hospitals in Marseille, Marseille, France. yves.jammes@univmed.fr

Abstract

OBJECTIVES: A history of high-level physical activity and/or acute infection might constitute stress factors affecting the plasma oxidant-antioxidant status and levels of heat shock proteins (HSPs) in patients with chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS).

DESIGN: This case-control study compared data from 43 CFS patients to results from a matched control group of 23 healthy sedentary subjects.

SETTING AND SUBJECTS: Five patients had no relevant previous history (group I). Eighteen had practised high-level sport (group II), and severe acute infection had been diagnosed in nine patients (group III). A combination of sport practice and infection was noted in 11 patients (group IV).

INTERVENTIONS: After examination at rest, all subjects performed a maximal cycling exercise test. Plasma levels of two markers of oxidative stress [thiobarbituric acid reactive substances (TBARS) and reduced ascorbic acid (RAA)] and both HSP27 and HSP70 were measured.

RESULTS: At rest, compared with the control group, the TBARS level was higher in groups II, III and IV patients, and the RAA level was lower in groups III and IV. In addition, HSP70 levels were significantly lower in all CFS groups, compared with controls, but negative correlations were found between resting HSP27 and HSP70 levels and the history of physical activity. After exercise, the peak level of TBARS significantly increased in groups II, III and IV, and the variations in HSP27 and HSP70 were attenuated or suppressed, with the greatest effects in groups III and IV.

CONCLUSION: The presence of stress factors in the history of CFS patients is associated with severe oxidative stress and the suppression of protective HSP27 and HSP70 responses to exercise.

Last edited:

unto

I wonder if this poor production of HSP27e HSP70 proteins can be caused by a viral infection? chronic