• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Heart Beat/Pounding in Chest Rapid changes

Hello. I have been experiencing strong heart pounding in my chest for about 2 weeks. It also speeds up, slows down and goes away without warning. Sometimes I feel my blood pressure rise, a few times I went and had it taken. It ranged from 80/50 to 149/99. Of course, the higher one was new to me. I am 46 year old female, I have smoked most of my life, but have slowed down the last few years and since this started, I quit. I was supposed to see my doctor for this in 4 days, however, I had such a scary day I went to the hospital and they have admitted me. My tests start this morning. They are doing an ultrasound, stress, some box thing?? Don't know much more about that one. Secondary, they are checking my thyroid as it, too, can cause this heart pounding?? I don't know. Sounds like it could make sense. Well, I will keep you updated after my tests today. Maybe it will help? Lastly, they are looking at anxiety/stress.
Wish me luck!

Jarod

Hi.

You may want to check out N-Acetyl Cysteine .

NAC can help with many things, and can be very good for the liver for people that can tolerate it. however, it can irritate the stomach for some people though.

It also might be able to help with pneumonia, but my memory is pretty vague on that. Something to keep in mind and search around for.

The NAC isn't going to directly help you blood pressure changes, but it can help with liver health which is good for everything.

THe fluctuating blood rpessure I don't have, but a freidn does. I would also consider reducing stimulants like caffine. Maybe switch to green tea or something.

Looks like you are new here, so I would also mention the methylation section for nervous system stuff.
Good luck

Sherlock

Boswellia for lungs and MC stabllizing
Hi, Kat. You're posting from the hospital? This is like being in on an episode of "House" :)

The most benign cause could be panic attacks. Yes, please post test results, it could be too many things at this early point.

Good Luck!!

taniaaust1

Dont let them blame panic attacks. It sounds as if u could have some kind of autonomic dysfunction going on and to diagnose that certain tests which the hospital probably wont do (as only a few do the tests), need doing.

Is your BP going up high from standing up?? if so.. check out orthostatic hypertension (which is a very little known condition but one which if bad should be treated). I have both low BP and high BP due to my autonomic dysfunction due to the ME. Dr David Bell has written about the autonomic issues in ME and the othostatic hypertension is one of those things. (Ive read that he actually studied under Dr Streeten who was the grandfather of medicine in orthostatic issues and actually wrote the medical textbook for autonomic dysfunctions).

You may need 24 hr BP monitioring done with the heart rate too (while keeping records of what you are doing at the time (standing, sitting or laying..this is one way to see if its orthostatic hypertension.. the BP may not immediately go up on standing or it may.. it may be quite variable esp if you have more then one orthostatic issue going on) . You also need a tilt table test done (or at least some poor mans testing for OI issues). Those who have ME autonomic (bp/heart) issues, it isnt unusual to have more then one of these conditions.

POTS (postural orthostatic tacycardia syndrome) can cause heart pounding. At least 13% of ME/CFS patients have POTS with it. If POTS, u are more likely to notice the pounding when standing up.