• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Head.

Fuzzyhead

I have a bad head on my right every day that seems to be with my back. My upper right side of my back is sore near my spine,but i have saw an osteopath, chiropractor etc who all say my right feels locked and tight but can't seem to help. Its a short dull pain in the same place above my right eye. I have had my right shoulder x rayed and all fine. I feel it's making me more fatigued too. Any ideas?

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I'm having all sorts of back issues now. Arthritis, disc issues, more. I have headaches, jaw pain and now sciatica and it is linked to how I hold my head.

I take muscle relaxants (methocarbomal) that don't knock me out and that seems to help. Also some mild stretching.

Sux

Last edited:

sarah darwins

If you’re fairly sure this has a muscular-skeletal dimension, I would definitely recommend seeking out a teacher of the Alexander Technique. I see one occasionally and have had some real benefits with similar issues (which I thought were eye strain but weren’t — more back and shoulders).

The AT isn’t a therapy. It’s impossible to describe, you just have to find an experienced teacher and try it. A lot of it is learning to identify areas of tension in your body and release them. It’s much more down-to-earth than it sounds.

I remember reading something by an Irish fiddle player who had almost identical issues to yours. He said that after one AT lesson he felt like someone had poured a gallon of oil into his neck. With an experienced practitioner, it can be that dramatic. Might be worth a go.

Don’t know which country you’re in but there are AT teachers in most parts of the world. I think both the UK and the US have associations listing accredited teachers.

ahmo

I use different size balls to help me w/ tight muscles. A really excellent type for the areas you're talking about, is a soft-ish rubber ball for toddlers, about the size of a grapefruit, with raised 'spikes' to make it easier for little hands to grasp. I put mine into a sock for comfort. Then lie on it and let your body sink into it. Both relaxing into it, and rolling around with it a bit, maybe making very small circles of your shoulder blade on top of it. Play with it. When you remove the ball and lie flat, you'll be amazed by the change.

You can try with smaller ball, like tennis ball, or, for hips, something larger, soft beach ball the size of soccer or a bit smaller. Racquette balls are wonderful for rolling around under your feet, to wake up balance receptors and remind the foot that it's not a solid, fixed mass, but has depth and springiness.
graphics-balls-640082.gif