• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Hägglöf et al: Neutrophils license iNKT cells to regulate self-reactive mouse B cell responses

mango

Neutrophils license iNKT cells to regulate self-reactive mouse B cell responses

Thomas Hägglöf, Saikiran K Sedimbi, Jennifer L Yates, Roham Parsa, Briana Hauff Salas, Robert A Harris, Elizabeth A Leadbetter & Mikael C I Karlsson

Nature Immunology (2016) doi:10.1038/ni.3583
Published online 31 October 2016

Abstract
The innate responsiveness of the immune system is important not only for quick responses to pathogens but also for the initiation and shaping of the subsequent adaptive immune response. Activation via the cytokine IL-18, a product of inflammasomes, gives rise to a rapid response that includes the production of self-reactive antibodies. As increased concentrations of this cytokine are found in inflammatory diseases, we investigated the origin of the B cell response and its regulation.

We identified an accumulation of B cell–helper neutrophils in the spleen that interacted with innate-type invariant natural killer T cells (iNKT cells) to regulate B cell responses. We found that neutrophil-dependent expression of the death-receptor ligand FasL by iNKT cells was needed to restrict autoantibody production. Neutrophils can thus license iNKT cells to regulate potentially harmful autoreactive B cell responses during inflammasome-driven inflammation.

Subject terms: Autoimmunity, Inflammation, Innate immune cells

http://www.nature.com/ni/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/ni.3583.html

mango

Karolinska Institutet:
How autoimmune disease is prevented – mechanism discovered
A previously unknown safety mechanism in our immune system keeps the body free from autoimmune diseases. Researchers from Karolinska Institutet have discovered that a cell in our inherited immune system can prevent our adaptive (learned) immune system from reacting to the body’s native cells, which can otherwise lead to autoimmune diseases such as SLE. The study is published in the academic journal Nature Immunology. [...]
http://ki.se/en/news/how-autoimmune-disease-is-prevented-mechanism-discovered

JamBob

Good spot @mango

I was interested to read on the wikipedia page for neutrophils that "Decreases in neutrophil function have been linked to hyperglycemia. Dysfunction in the neutrophil biochemical pathway myeloperoxidase as well as reduced degranulation are associated with hyperglycaemia."

Has anyone tested neutrophils in ME/CFS?

I'm a T1 diabetic (so I always have some degree of hyperglycaemia) and have another autoimmune disease (Thyroid) and whatever ME is (I'm leaning to autoimmune but I want to stay open-minded).

My mum frequently has neutropenia (low neutrophil count) and I sometimes do. People with T1 diabetes apparently also have low levels of iNKT (along with people with SLE, lupus and other autoimmune disease).

I need to read up on some immunology!! ;);)