• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Guardian: NHS is failing patients with neurological conditions

Firestormm

1st August 2012: http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2012/aug/01/nhs-neglect-neurological

Poor primary care means too many people with brain illnesses are being admitted to emergency wards, says group

...An alliance report accuses the NHS of not taking patients with neurological conditions seriously enough, and warns that the coalition's health reforms will do nothing to help them.

"Policy levers for improving care in the new NHS landscape are not being mobilised to support improvements to neurological services.

"Five of the six key policy levers, including national outcome strategies and the commissioning outcome framework, are not currently being used to improve services for people with neurological conditions," it claims.

This is despite neurological services taking up more than 5% of overall NHS spending, which makes them the service's eighth largest category of spending, and the fact that one in six people are affected, it adds.

The report urged the plethora of new NHS bodies being created next April by the Health and Social Care Act to tackle "the legacy of neglect which has resulted in unacceptable variations in outcomes and higher than necessary costs".

Inadequate and poorly co-ordinated care of such patients by GPs and other community health and social care services result in undue numbers of emergency hospital admissions, it says...

...The Department of Health said that the commissioning board is already planning to drive improvements to services for those with mental health problems, dementia and neurological conditions by ensuring that some of the first strategic clinical networks set up next year cover them.

"We want NHS services to focus on what matters to people most. This will make sure that people with neurological conditions get integrated care and the support they need at the right time and in the right place," said a spokeswoman.

"We are working closely with patient groups and health professionals to develop a new Long-Term Conditions Strategy. The NHS commissioning board is already planning to drive improvements to improve mental health services, dementia and neurological conditions," she added...'

N.B. The Neurological Alliance recognises ME as a neurological condition and several UK ME Charities are members along with the main Fibromyalgia charity...

Enid

All sounds too familiar Firestormm - picked up collapsed in the street and ambulanced to A & E - receiving a "diagnosis" - it's all in your mind" and a psychiatrist sent in. GP did at least recognise neurological problems and sent to a Consultant, but apart from tests revealing abnormalties everything stopped there.

Enid

That's a difficult one to recall Calathea (about ten years ago and in the middle of a battery of tests - so slow by my Neurologist including Kings, and test results never seeming to be in the right place at the right time). Two collapses locally and whether the 4 just qualified A & E Docs referred to anything available on his notes or not I don't know. He eventually agreed could be ME - "they think viral", find someone who knows and I will release my findings". So no "official" ME diagnosis really.