• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Google: No results found for "experiencing pain from noises".

Valentijn

My theory is that excess excitatory neurotransmitters (as a side effect of inability to make glutathione) make us extra sensitive to sensory input, including noise.

Wonko

remarkable - I would have expected thousands of results from ear defender sellers, drum kit shops, whistle manufacturuers etc.

google really is slipping, it's bad enough they have replaced all the results which might actaully match what people want but to also not produce nice sales links is rediculous

edit - they've now fixed it - 1 result - this thread lol

Sparrow

Dang... I used to have some decent sites for this, but I don't remember where I've hidden them. Nothing all that helpful, really, though.

I've had some sudden drops in hearing that never corrected themselves, and the last couple of times I had a period where sound was really physically painful to my ears (one in particular), and where sounds got really distorted (like broken electronics at first, with some lingering pitch problems - things still sound lower than they are in one ear). Thankfully those parts mostly passed. Was enough to spur me into doing some research, though. Unfortunately it seems like yet another one of those things that most of the medical community doesn't understand at all yet. I do recall that a few people had success treating the hearing loss with aldosterone or anti-candida meds (which sounds like a potential ME/CFS connection to me).

I'm curious if anyone else has had an unexplained drop in hearing (seems very odd that it would be timed with the ME/CFS, equally weird, but not related), sound distortion, pitch distortion, or actual physical ear pain from sounds. It isn't something I've heard mentioned much in the common lists of symptoms, but I know we all have a lot of our own craziness. Would be nice to know if it isn't just me...

Supposedly magnesium fixes this. I take magnesium every day - 1 g. When I started taking DHEA 75 mg I was getting sensitive to noise on occasion but the DHEA caused me to be TOTALLY IMPERVIOUS to noise. I can blast my car radio as loud as the kids. Your DHEA:cortisol level governs how much stress u can handle and noise is a stress. This is all I know about it. Dunno if it helps

I'm guessing it's another standard symptom for ME/CFS?
I feel physically assaulted by higher pitched sounds when I'm crashing. Not so much when I'm stable but I live in a very quiet remote location so I think I underestimate that advantage in day to day life.

Wonko

Sound sensitivity varies depending on how bad I am, the worse I am the more noise, especially rhythmic noise, or noises we have evolved to have attract our attention, such as children being children, drives me nuts, hurts, and after a while irritates the hell out of me.

It also varies the other way depending on how low my energy levels are, a volume level on my TV, or radio, can be gratingly loud, but the same level at another point (sometimes but not usually only minutes apart) can be so low I can't hear it well enough for it to be anything other than indistinct noise - I've learnt over the years that doesn't mean I should turn it up, it means I should turn it off.

Last edited:

arewenearlythereyet

I find the noise thing definitely worse when all other symptoms are at their height or I'm crashing. Light sensitivity is more random for me.

I know I'm bad when I have to turn the TV off in the background so I can hear what my wife is saying even when she is right by me and the TV is miles away and quite low in volume. Also sometimes my son whooping and generally being a 9 year old definitely is too much, which makes me a bit sad. I've bought some ear plugs so he can just be himself.

It does seem to be a lack of brain power to process all the signals coming in (similar for light?) I guess the brain filters out extraneous noise and sets its own volume when it "tunes in" to specific sounds. It feels like that filter just doesn't work properly sometimes.

I think this is simply the brain conserving ATP and turning things off when reserves are low. The following is "quite interesting" in this regard

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/why-does-the-brain-need-s/

I am hypersensitive to noise and I definitely have misophonia. I would be perfectly happy in a world at mute mode. I cannot listen to the news or watch tv easily bcz I get annoyed. I hate when people talk loud or shout, I get in a shock somehow. The sicker I am the sickest I get with noise. I think I would die in a rock festival.