• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Gillian McCarthy UK - severe MCS sufferer

mermaid

I hope it's OK to put this here. I previously wrote an article for Phoenix Rising on Gillian's plight, four years ago :
http://phoenixrising.me/archives/14991
Den Project Appeal for Gillian McCarthy, ME/MCS sufferer

This has been posted by one of the people who try to offer what little support that they can. He has raised money for her in the past by sponsored runs and is going to do another one in Feb to help boost the funds here. https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/Gillian-McCarthy
This is the film he has made to go with the appeal

Gillian had a terrible fire earlier this year in the huts where she still lived. She was lucky to escape with her life but it did destroy all that was in there - most of her belongings. Since then, she is living in the tiny 'Den' building that was only ever intended as a respite, not as a permanent home. Unbelievably, she has received virtually no official help, despite being interviewed and assessed by social workers. They are unable to find a carer for her, so any help that has been given since the fire has come from volunteers as ever.

I still write to Gillian (am too far away to visit and have no transport anyway), and I have been doing my best to help source some basic organic clothing items for her that she can tolerate as most of her clothing and bedding were lost in the fire. I have also just sourced a Solar Kettle that I hope may prove useful to take the chill off water for her. Her mother who is now in her late 80s still does her washing and banking.

taniaaust1

this made me cry. Its so horrific how she's still living and shocking she's now also suffered a fire and lost all her stuff, I remember her story from years ago when I first heard about her.

. They are unable to find a carer for her, so any help that has been given since the fire has come from volunteers as ever.

that's shocking. Thou I do not get much care support, I do get chemical free carers provided for the support I get. Its not easy (a new one came with contaminated clothes so I had to get her to take her clothes off and put on some of mine) but there is no reason why this cant happen.

:( I hope someone in a high place helps her with her situation soon. I can completely believe getting left without water (Ive been left without food at times).