• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Getting sick when I'm among people

jason30

Since almost a year I get sick when I am around people, especially at work in rooms with a lot of people or when people were there (break room / canteen). This affects me so badly that I stay at home.

The symptoms I get after 'exposure' from people:
  • Coldness and cold shivers
  • Flu feeling
  • shortness of breath and sometimes pressure on the chest
I get worsening of this 'condition' when I take Cat's claw. Next day after intake I feel better with less symptoms, but starting from 2 days after intake I get worsening of the above symptoms.
I also get muscle pain in the back after intake of Cat's Claw, tthis usually happens when my adrenal glands have a hard time.

Several sources states that Cat's claw can worsen autoimmune diseases. "Cat’s claw might cause the immune system to become more active. This could increase the symptoms of auto-immune diseases. "
This is happening to me.
This is vague though; I get a much better skin from taking Cat's claw, this could be due the antimicrobal activitity, as I get this often after taking an antimicrobal activity. BUT, the skin is a bit more yellow/brown and therefor I don't know for sure if this is a good thing, or a liver (hepatitis) thing.

In my opinion it could be either an autoimmune condition or liver condition such as acute hepatitis?

I will make an appointment to the doctor soon. Any tips what to check regarding autoimmune diseases?

Some insights or experiences are welcome, thanks in advance for thinking along.

Seven7

Seven
Based on your symptoms description, have you been checked for orthostatic Intolerance? In my case, the noise crashes me so when I am w a lot of people I use headphones or earplug ( enough into the ear to soften the noise but not enough to not hear anything). If you are the visual people I do not have a good solution for that, if the too many people is over stimulating you. Also sitting on 90 degrees without compression will crash me. If I am on OI meds this goes away. Best of luck!!!!

jason30

Based on your symptoms description, have you been checked for orthostatic Intolerance? In my case, the noise crashes me so when I am w a lot of people I use headphones or earplug ( enough into the ear to soften the noise but not enough to not hear anything). If you are the visual people I do not have a good solution for that, if the too many people is over stimulating you. Also sitting on 90 degrees without compression will crash me. If I am on OI meds this goes away. Best of luck!!!!

Thanks!
OI is on my radar, when the symptoms occur I do stand up after sitting. But on the other hand, it also occurs when people come to my desk.
  1. How can I determine if it is OI?
  2. Is it possible to check on OI by a blood test?
  3. And may I ask which OI meds you are using?

Seven7

Seven
I am trying to document everything so see my blog and see videos on OI
In the meanwhile, there is a lot you can do naturally.
You can test your self for OI by monitoring your BLood pressure and your HEart rate, depending on the behavior, you will know what type you have ( see dinet.org for types of OI).
The self test is called Poor’s men tilt table test, then you can bring prove to your doctor and he can do a real Tilt table test. The reason why I recommend ( I am not doctor just my experience) is that we are not always OI 100% so if we do it during the bad is more clear than just a picture in time that might happen to be on a good day, not reflecting the reality.

What is OI | How To tell ME apart from OI

Wishful

Interacting with people gives me PEM. My guess is that there's a specific type of neural processing (and hormones?) involved when there are other people present, and that can trigger PEM or other ME symptoms. I don't think the immune system is directly being activated by people, but whatever is happening might affect the immune system indirectly.

You could experiment with limiting specific types of interaction with people. Maybe a good filter mask to block dust particles or chemicals. Wearing headphones with masking sounds might block aural triggers. Not sure how to block visual triggers: be creative. If emotional responses are triggering symptoms, maybe try some calming drugs/herbs. Maybe you'll discover something important for ME/CFS.

Maybe you'll get the rest of us wearing noseplugs or headphones or whatever. :D

Wolfcub

There are many things to consider....
Added stress which because you don't feel so well basically, can cause unbearable sense of stress/pressure. Even social interactions can cause that with susceptible people. Even if the interactions are pleasant, they can be over-stimulating.

Then there's whatever work pressure thay may bring with them? (see above)

Then there are sensitivities to consider....such as -are you or are you becoming, sensitive to perfumes, deodorants, other smells? Things you may not even normally notice but which your system can't handle at the moment?

But it's possible that Cat's Claw is an immune stimulator as opposed to an immunomodulator.
There is a great difference in herbal medicine.

A herb such as Astragalus membranaceus (for example -there are many others) is known for its immunomodulatory properties.
On the other hand herbs such as Echinacea and Myrrh are known for their direct stimulating abilities. I am unsure, but Cat's Claw may be in the same category.
As it sounds like it is flaring up your auto-immune problems.

It may be worth consulting with a qualified herbal practitioner, a medical herbalist. He or she would have a better idea about what could help you and what to avoid.

[By the way the term "immunomodulation" is used in a different context re: pharmaceutical drugs and allopathic medicine. In that context, the drugs used are mainly to 1) stimulate the immune system drastically such as in cancer treatments.... or 2) to suppress immune activity in autoimmunity or organ transplants etc.]

jason30

Thanks all, my apologies for my late answer. I had some major crash in the last 2 weeks.

@Seven (formerly lnester7) Good idea to monitor the blood pressure and heart rate. I'll see from there if a tilt table is needed. But good to mention indeed to do it in a bad moment. Thanks again!

@Wishful Sorry to hear that you get PEM when you interact with people.

Maybe you'll get the rest of us wearing noseplugs or headphones or whatever.

haha that would be a cool achievement :D
That's indeed the thing, I react hyper to dust particles and chemicals. (I do have MCS and dust mite allergy).
But this reaction is more intensive with flu feeling.
Thanks for the tips.

@Wolfcub Thanks for thinking along and the clarifications.
I have MCS and I know how I react to chemicals such as perfumes. This interaction with people gives different symptoms. I do realise that it's pretty vague, but somehow it leads me to something which I wasn't aware of before.
I have this at home as well, I reacted the same way to my ex-girlfriend when she came close to me. The particles/chemicals hits me harder then normal.
I am aware that social interaction can have a share in this as well, unconsciously or consciously.

Cat's claw is indeed flaring up my auto-immune problems. But which auto-immune problems is the big question.

Thanks again all!