• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Getting ready to start Famvir- dosing?

cb2

since i didn't do well with valtrex I am going to try famvir.
HOWEVER< currently am on predisone 20mg a day for a rash-

I will try to wait until after the predi to start famvir- dr's said start at 1 (500mg) a day for 2 weeks, then 2 a day for 2 weeks then increase again to 3 x a day.

do you all think it is best to try only 1/2 a tab for a week before i increase?

Looking forward to seeing what happens-- curious about the difference between famvir and acyclovir? thanks

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I also started with Acyclovir and I had noticeable but subtle changes. By the time I got to Famvir I was much sicker so didn't notice much but I know it keeps my viruses in check.

I had what I'll all a viral reactivation a few months ago. I felt like I had mono. I couldn't keep my eyes open or get out of bed. My throat was sore and swollen. I was taking 500 mgs Famvir at the time so I amped it up to 1000 and within a few days all my symptoms were gone.

When I started Famvir, I started very low dose since I'm get pretty sick if I start to fast with an antiviral. With Famvir my muscles spasm and knot up.

I started with 250 for about 4 days while I waited for the symptoms to die down, then went up another 250 etc. Now I'm on 1000.
I do remember I started and stopped a few times but now I have no problem with it.

cb2

thank you.. i haven't figured out how to reply with "quotes" yet. do you think it would be best to wait until the predisone is over and rash is gone before starting the famvir?

honestly i started the acyclovir so long ago, i was better at that time- but i think i stopped the acyclovir dont remember why .. oh maybe some dr's telling me i didnt need it- I can't remember but ever since late 2012 the EBV VCA have been going way way up. sometimes it think i shoot my own foot!

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I can't help you with the prednisone decision. I don't think it has anything to do with the Famvir.

I usually only start one thing at a time so if I have a problem I'll know what's causing it.