• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

GET/CBT is often counterproductive in ME and CFS

Ember

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1365-2362.2012.02718.x/abstract
Graded Exercise therapy (GET) / Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) is often counterproductive in Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME) and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS)
  1. Frank N.M. Twisk1,
  2. Rob J.W. Arnoldus2
Accepted manuscript online: 14 AUG 2012 10:35AM EST
We would like to comment on Van Cauwenbergh et al. [1] in which the authors outline guidelines for graded exercise therapy (GET) and cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) for ME/CFS. In this context it is essential to make a distinction between ME [2], CFS and chronic fatigue (CF). While post-exertional malaise, a long-lasting increase in symptoms, like pain and cognitive impairment, after a minor exertion is mandatory for ME, it is not obligatory for the diagnosis CFS. Van Cauwenbergh et al. [1] stipulate that the rationale for CBT and GET is kinesiophobia, resulting into avoidance behaviour and deconditioning.
The Van Cauwenbergh et al. study has been discussed here.