• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

"Gene Pool," on CFS Central

New post on CFS Central about the Vitamin D Receptor (VDR) gene and the genetic reasons why some patients may be improving on Dr. Kenny de Meirleir's drug cocktail of GcMAF and Nexavir (Kutapressin) while others are not. Included is a chart of the genetic profiles of 49 (anonymous) ME/CFS patients as well as controls.

Mindy Kitei
CFS Central
http://www.cfscentral.com

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
Oh my! that went right over my head - didnt understand a word. Could some kind soul explain please?

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
New post on CFS Central about the Vitamin D Receptor (VDR) gene and the genetic reasons why some patients may be improving on Dr. Kenny de Meirleir's drug cocktail of GcMAF and Nexavir (Kutapressin) while others are not. Included is a chart of the genetic profiles of 49 (anonymous) ME/CFS patients as well as controls.

Mindy Kitei
CFS Central
http://www.cfscentral.com

Hi Mindy,

Thanks so much for this.

I earlier tried to analyse the VDR results from the same source data.

Some of us are stumped by the fact that RedLabs doesn't use standard nomenclature in reporting this test. For instance, mine came back FOK 1--low responder; and BSM1--moderate to low responder. I'm guessing this would be ff or ++ on FOK and maybe Bb or +- on BSM.

Several of us have written to RedLabs requesting that they use standard reporting methods, but so far we are still getting results as the level of response. Do you have any other information as to how Redlab's reports correlate with the use of capital or lower case letters and/or ++'s and ---'s?

I am about to travel to Brussels to see Kenny De Meirleir and am hoping he will prescribe GcMAF even though my VDR test doesn't look promising. He has told other patients that "low responders" may just take longer to respond--hope this proves true!

Thanks! Also, hope you don't mind if I put a link to this thread on the VDR thread.

Sushi

serg1942

Hi Mindy,

Thanks so much for sharing your work on this.

I have a doubt. You write in yout blog:
The patients more likely to respond to the GcMAF/Nexavir cocktail appear to be those expressing the wild type (no mutations) in VDR Fok and a double mutation in VDR Bsm/Taq, an unusual combination

I think you mean that the best responders according to Yamamoto paper to GcMAF are those with the combination: bb/FF, being bb a mutation for the VDR Bsm gene and FF a wild type for the VDR Fok gene.

Well, check this post out: http://forums.aboutmecfs.org/showth...yone-taking-it&p=135950&viewfull=1#post135950,

It seems pretty clear that for Bsm, bb is the wild typo while BB is the mutation, although this goes against the rules of the usual nomenclature. Do you have some evidence that refute this?

On the other hand, I have tried to understand the graphic youve posted:

Taq Bsm/Taq +G/-A Fok I +T/-C
homozygous - / - 14.9% 38.3%
hetrozygous + / - 51.1% 48.9%
homozygous + / + 34% 12.8%
homozygous - / - 19.6% 46.7%
hetrozygous + / - 39.2% 45.6%
homozygous + / + 43.2% 7.8%

Which is the difference between the first three rows, and the others? I cannot tell from the excel file.

Thanks so much in advance,
Sergio

After preliminary research today, Sergio, we suspect that the G allele is not the mutation in Bsm/Taq SNP in the Vitamin D Receptor (VDR), and that the A is the mutation. We need to do more research to be absolutely sure, but we suspect that Dr. Amy Yasko is incorrect when she says the G is the mutation (which she indicates with a + sign) in Bsm/Taq. We assumed that she was correct when we created the chart.

Once we are certain that the A is the mutation, W. L. Karns and I will change the chart to reflect what we suspect is correct: that G is the wild type and A is the mutation.

Assuming that the G is the wild type and the A is the mutation, then those who respond best to the drug GcMAF are still those with GG. Dr. Yamamoto appears to be calling those with the double G allele “bb.”

The G allele in snp RS 1544410, which is what Yasko and some others refer to as Bsm/Taq, is the ancestral allele.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/SNP/snp_ref.cgi?rs=rs1544410

We will check the VDR Fok mutation as well.

On our chart, the percentages in the first three boxes are ME/CFS patients, and the last three are controls.

Mindy

serg1942

Hi Mindy,

Thanks for your reply.

Then, it seems that bb is actually the wild type, as was our conclusion in the forum after discussing that for a long time.

Just for curious, according with Yasko’s, I am Bsm ++ and Fok --, while according to REDlabs, I am high responder for Bsm (I assume it must be bb, or --) and low responder for Fok (assuming this means ff or ++). So exactly the opposite.

Then, putting together the percentages you’ve given:

According to Yasko: I would be in the 34% for Bsm and in the 38.3%, so in order to obtain my combination according to Yasko (BB/FF), the net possibilities would be: 38.3% X 34% / 100 = 13%.

According to RED labs, I would be in the 14.9 % for Bsm and in the 12.8% for Fok. So the chances for having the combination (bb/ff) according to REDlabs, would be 14.9% X 12.8 % = 1.9%

So, in order to figure out what laboratory is right or wrong, in my case, obviously a 13% is more likely than a 1.9%, meaning that Yasko’s results are more probable in my case.

It would be very interesting that others do the same maths I’ve done, to see what the probabilities are.

Regards,
Sergio

soulfeast

Trying to piece this together..

http://www.cfscentral.com/2011/01/genes-redux.html#comments

If J Garcia is right, then its only the Yasko VDR Tag that is opposite.. meaning -- is really ++

VDR Tag ++ is a high responder?

Yasko's VDR Fok is not opposite and therefore her -- is representing -- and her ++ is representing ++

Then what is the high responder for VDR Fok? is that --?

I am VDR Tag +- so it looks like moderate responder with this one no matter?

My daughter is VDR Tag -- with Yasko which might then make her VDR Tag ++ and a high responder?

We are both VDR Fok -- (and hoping I copied those yasko result correctly since I do not have access to the original results).

Unclear what VDR Fok -- means.

It looks like vitamin D level has something to do with effectiveness? My daughter has good vitamin D levels (70). Mine are low around 40 or so.

Thanks for any clarification.