• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

GcMAF, a possible treatment for XMRV?

Immunotherapy of HIV-infected patients with Gc protein-derived macrophage activating factor (GcMAF)

After less than 18 weekly administrations of 100 ng GcMAF for nonanemic patients, they exhibited low serum Nagalase activities equivalent to healthy controls, indicating eradication of HIV-infection, which was also confirmed by no infectious center formation by provirus inducing agent-treated patient PBMCs. No recurrence occurred and their healthy CD + cell counts were maintained for 7 years.

PMID: 19031451 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Immunotherapy for Prostate Cancer with Gc Protein-Derived Macrophage-Activating Factor, GcMAF

...After 14 to 25 weekly administrations of GcMAF (100 ng/week), all 16 patients had very low serum Nagalase levels equivalent to those of healthy control values, indicating that these patients are tumor-free. No recurrence occurred for 7 years.

PMID: 18633461

Immunotherapy of metastatic breast cancer patients with vitamin D-binding protein-derived macrophage activating factor

...After about 16-22 administrations (approximately 3.5-5 months) of GcMAF, these patients had insignificantly low serum enzyme levels equivalent to healthy control enzyme levels, ranging from 0.38 to 0.63 nmole/min/mg protein, indicating eradication of the tumors. This therapeutic procedure resulted in no recurrence for more than 4 years.

PMID: 17935130 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

mojoey

I've heard from certain KDM patients on gcmaf that it's not a cure and is on par with ampligen in that respect.

The basic problem is, indeed, that all the published studies are from Yamamoto. The problem with Cheney's opinion is that it is based entirely on secondhand reports. He has yet to use the product with any of his patients. He is also very invested in stem cells and biased against HIV drugs (he's worried about them worsening diastolic dysfunction and killing stem cells), and that may be driving him toward a therapy such as gcmaf that doesn't have these adverse effects.

The problem with KDM's reports is that he seems overly bullish on it when presenting at conferences and when reporting to other ME/CFS physicians in the states that his patients are getting great results, giving the impression that it is sufficient as monotherapy for XMRV, but that is not the impression I'm getting from his patients that are on it. This information gap is something that needs to be resolved before we can get a proper appraisal of its effect.

redo

I agree with your analysis mojoey, the reports are overly bullish. I am sure he means good, but what I've heard from patients getting the treatment he use (or used to use): nexavir, some get better, some don't. But the reports are more positive then what you get to hear if you ask some patients who have tried it.

aquariusgirl

Well, if it was safe and it significantly reduced viral and/or bacterial load, I would give it a shot.

The way I see it we need multiple therapies to get our own immune systems to that "tipping point" where it can begin to function properly on its own.

The problem with things that fit the bill, say ...Ampligen.... is that a) it's not readily available and b) it's prohibitively expensive (at least for me...in terms of the cost/benefit analysis.)

I don't keep up with the research like some of you....but does anyone know how much KDM's patients are paying for GcMaf?

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
The problem with things that fit the bill, say ...Ampligen.... is that a) it's not readily available and b) it's prohibitively expensive (at least for me...in terms of the cost/benefit analysis.)

I don't keep up with the research like some of you....but does anyone know how much KDM's patients are paying for GcMaf?

Hi Aquariusgirl,

Mojoey posted the other day that the price per shot was 35 euros. http://www.forums.aboutmecfs.org/sh...l-treatment-be&p=127623&viewfull=1#post127623

Sushi