• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Fungus in humans identified for first time as key factor in Crohn's disease

kangaSue

The researchers found that;
[Additionally, test-tube research by the Ghannoum-led team found that the three work together (with the E. coli cells fusing to the fungal cells and S. marcescens forming a bridge connecting the microbes) to produce a biofilm -- a thin, slimy layer of microorganisms found in the body that adheres to, among other sites, a portion of the intestines -- which can prompt inflammation that results in the symptoms of Crohn's disease.]

Sounds like a case for biofilm disruptors.

Forbin

This seems like a very important finding. It confirms earlier studies about reduced beneficial bacteria in the micorbiomes of Crohn's and chronic ulcerative colitis patients, which is something that was also recently found in Dr. Hanson's study of ME/CFS patients.

Crohn's study:
Additionally, the researchers found that the presence of beneficial bacteria was significantly lower in the Crohn's patients, corroborating previous research findings.
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releas...35.htm?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

ME/CFS study:
The researchers sequenced regions of microbial DNA from the stool samples to identify different types of bacteria. Overall, the diversity of types of bacteria was greatly reduced and there were fewer bacterial species known to be anti-inflammatory in ME/CFS patients compared with healthy people, an observation also seen in people with Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis.
http://www.news.cornell.edu/stories/2016/06/indicator-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-found-gut-bacteria

What might be particularly important is the interplay between various bacteria and (now) fungi involved. It would be remarkable if it turned out that Crohn's, CUC and ME/CFS were manifestations of similar, self-sustaining imbalances, perhaps distinguished by which gut microbes are involved.

Last edited: