• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Functional Status and Well-Being in People with ME/CFS vs MS and Healthy Controls (2018) Kingdon

Tom Kindlon

Caroline C. Kingdon, Erinna W. Bowman, Hayley Curran, Luis Nacul, Eliana M. Lacerda

Background
People with myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) continue to struggle to have their condition recognised as disabling in the face of public and professional prejudice and discrimination.

Objective
The aim of this study was to compare the functional status and well-being of people with well-characterised ME/CFS with people with multiple sclerosis (PWMS), as well as healthy controls (HCs).

Methods
In this cross-sectional study, we used data collected as part of the UK ME/CFS Biobank to compare actual participant scores from the Medical Outcomes Survey Short Form-36 v2™ (SF-36v2™) between groups, as a proxy for impact of disability, and from a bespoke questionnaire seeking data on employment and income.

Results
People with ME/CFS scored significantly lower than PWMS or HCs in almost all SF-36v2™ areas. Prominent were lower scores for people with ME/CFS in the Physical Component Summary and Role Physical and Social Function domains, while the smallest differences were seen in the Mental Health domain. Responses to the bespoke questionnaire indicated that people with ME/CFS in this study work fewer hours and have lower incomes compared with people in the other two groups.

Conclusions
Using SF-36v2™ scores as a proxy, people with ME/CFS were measurably more disabled than PWMS or HCs in this study population. Furthermore, employment and income data are consistent with loss of functional status. These findings should encourage the health community to recognise the disabling effects of ME/CFS, to advocate for the needs of people with ME/CFS, and to investigate strategies to address the cost of the disease to both individuals and society.
https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s41669-018-0071-6

alkt

another study based on self report forms doctors who wont listen to patients are not likely to bother taking this in either .