• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Fruit, hypoglycemia and CFS

Had cfs for nearly 15 years. Many years ago started eating a lot of fruit as it was easy to digest and rich in nutrients-- thought it was better than sugar as, like many of us, i craved sweet foods and instant energy. Anyways, i maintained the high fruit diet to the point where it became the majority of my carbs for 6-7 years. I think it has had a very negative effect on me. I would normally drink 2 L a day of fruit juice. I tried numerous times to stop it but always felt worse on grains and desperately stressed. Ive just recently however stated treating my adrenal gland and taking large doses of vit c and i am now able to go without fruit and sugar--it appears my adrenal gland is now strong enough to support my blood sugar level!. Anyways, i was wondering if anyone else eats large amounts of fruit or has cut it out and what effect it had on their health and how long it took to recover.

taniaaust1

There was a study done in which it was shown that a very large percent of us (I think it was 50%) have fructose intollerence (a hydrogen breath test I think it is, can show if one has that issue or not).. and in which due to this cutting back fructose which is in fruit may be helpful.

There is also an issue of a possible increase of issues around sugars (carbs) too in ME/CFS (eg hypoglycemia and insulin resistance).. some fruits (esp fruit juices) are quite high in sugars.

I find it interesting that you have connected improving adrenal function with more tollerance to being able to handle sugars well. thanks for the post

I'm always suspect of the fear of fruit that is so widespread in the alternative health area or at least in certain subsets of it. So along that line how much fruit were you actually eating? I do not consider the ingestion of fruit and fruit juice as the same thing myself as I think that once you convert it to juice you've made a very big change that does not fit with our evolutionary past. Whereas fruit was certainly a part of our diet for maybe millions of years. Perhaps not a large and consistent volume in our hunting - gathering past but definitely a normal part of our diet when available. Fruit juice never was, much less any commercial pasteurized fruit juice. So first question is what were you actually ingesting. Second question, you seem to indicate you have to eat either fruit or grains. Why is that? I have lived without grains for 25 years. It's not fun but I cannot see it as essential. Also in an evolutionary sense it is brand new and totally unproven as to long term safety and benefit.

My situation is perhaps not directly instructive for anyone but I have lived mostly on meat and 4-5 vegetables for the past 30 years. For the last 18 years I've been able to eat fruit once a day. Before having mercury amalgams removed I had spent 10 years totally unable to eat fruit. Within a month of amalgam removal I was able to start eating a little fruit. I never drink fruit juice. Currently I can eat only beef and one fruit meal a day. I can eat absolutely nothing else. Nothing. My bias is not wanting fruit to be bad as it is my only other food than beef and in the one fruit meal I eat a lot of fruit. In my case I do not see that fruit as bad at all.

I think it is great that adrenal treatment and or vitamin c helped you. What are you doing for adrenal treatment?
Phil